Coffee&Quasars's Reviews > The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer

DNF at 25%.

This would’ve been my first deep dive into Nazi history, but after half a dozen counts of listing homosexuality in the same breath as murder, and even going as far as attributing Naziism in part to many early Nazis being prone to “sexual perversion”, I started to wonder if this was going to be a reliable history at all.

It’s my fault for not properly researching the book beforehand. It appears the consensus is that it was outdated even upon its release, and in some cases espouses opinions no actual historian has ever supported, grossly misrepresenting the German people in the process. It seems the trilogy by Richard J Evans is the way to go, so I might try that at a later date.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

Finished Reading
December 28, 2018 –
page 312
24.38% (Paperback Edition)
January 9, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Coffee&Quasars My take is that you have to account for time warp to some degree. If there were a few homophobic remarks but the book was otherwise reliable then perhaps they could be ignored and not condoned in isolation. But, the extent of the homophobia here was an indicator that the author wasn’t really attempting to be objective at all and there may be other problems with it. Upon further investigation, it seems that’s the case. Thanks for the advice!

David Andrés I think the book should be read before posting conclusions.

message 3: by Red (new) - rated it 5 stars

Red Hand I had the same problem originally bad enough that I put the book down for a year.
After thinking about it, I decided that it is a result entirely of the Era in which it was written and tried again. I had a couple false starts but recently finished.

It's good. There's just some cultural stuff that needs to be thrown out the door. If the author had instead pointed out that Hitler was exterminating homosexuals... And had many in his inner circle to show logical holes in Nazi ideology from the outset, I feel that would have worked better than saying that those same people were perverts or hedonists.

I would strongly suggest listening to the audiobook. It helped me get through.