Rebecca's Reviews > Amelia Rules! Volume 4: When the Past is a Present

Amelia Rules! Volume 4 by Jimmy Gownley

Jul 08, 2008

bookshelves: graphic-novels, kid-graphic-novels
Recommended to Rebecca by: Susan

Oh how I enjoyed this book! This series should go straight into the hands of anyone who says that there are no good comics for kids. Amelia is the spunky heroine of these small-town vignettes, populated with her mom, aunt, and circle of quirky friends. I loved how each story began at the end and circled back, and managed to keep a wonderful balance between wacky (babysitter Mrs. Kadingo, who says things like "the only thing stopping me from marrying Donald Duck was Bing Crosby and his gang of radical dental hygienists") and heartrending (Amelia's friend Joan bids goodbye to her father when the Army sends him abroad).

The dialogue is witty and expressive and hilarious, and so is the art. Some of the storytelling techniques are very innovative and effective, such as when Amelia's reflection in the mirror expresses how she REALLY feels about her mom going on a date, or when her family's history is told through old-style comic strips.

This series would appeal to all ages, but especially girls who are a little old for Babymouse and Sardine and wondering what to read next. Amelia's a tomboy, so guys would like it, too, if they gave it a try.

BTW, I am totally going to start playing the game "Thank Goodness You're Open!" Read the book to find out what it is!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amelia Rules! Volume 4.

Started Reading