Karyl's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Jan 23, 2012

bookshelves: library-reads, favorites, 2012, young-adult-reads
Recommended to Karyl by: Mandy

Beautiful, amazing, moving book. I'm pretty amazed I didn't cry once, but I was still incredibly moved. Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer as a young girl, Hazel's constant companion is now her oxygen tank. At times she is angry that her lungs suck so badly at being lungs, that she is reliant on something to push oxygen into her lungs for her. Then she meets Augustus Waters, a boy with an amputated leg resulting from a bout of osteosarcoma. Afraid to allow someone besides her parents to love her, knowing that she will soon die, eventually she gives in to the inevitable and falls in love with Augustus, who loves her back with every fiber of his soul.

It's been said by a couple of reviewers that the only criticism they have of this novel is that the teens suffer from Dawson's Creek Syndrome, in which they speak in a level far above them. I didn't find that so much. I guess I've known too many young people who really do talk like this. Plus, as Green points out in this book, kids sick with cancer are usually pulled out of school and taught or tutored at home, and spending all their time around adults will increase their vocabulary. Even though Hazel is only 16, she's already gotten her GED and is taking classes at the local community college, so for me it's totally plausible for her to speak this way. Besides, she has no friends her own age anymore; she's been so sick that worrying about boys and clothes and regular teenage drama is pointless to her.

Highly recommend this book to everyone.

Quotes Karyl Liked

John Green
“But it is the nature of stars to cross, and never was Shakespeare more wrong than when he has Cassius note, ‘The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars / But in ourselves.”
John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

January 23, 2012 – Shelved
February 9, 2012 – Started Reading
February 9, 2012 – Shelved as: library-reads
February 10, 2012 –
page 65
20.77% "And yet still I worried. I liked being a person. I wanted to keep at it. Worry is yet another side effect of dying."
February 11, 2012 – Finished Reading
February 12, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites
April 16, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012
May 16, 2012 – Shelved as: young-adult-reads

Elana I cried! So much!

Cady Surprisingly, I didn't cry either. I loved it. Thanks for the recommendation!