Patrícia's Reviews > Mark of the Demon

Jan 23, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-reads, in-english, g-fantasy-urban
Read from January 23 to 25, 2012

RATING: 4 stars!

This one should have a Goodreads shelf all to itself named "what urban fantasy should be but often isn't". No, really. I enjoyed this book a lot; it wasn't outstanding in terms of plot, world or characters (it's still only the first book, though), but overall it was pretty good on all three aspects.

Kara Gillian is a detective... and a summoner. She calls on beings from a different realms and works spells with arcane magic.

She lives a moderately normal life (for a summoner, that is) until she transfers to the violent crimes unit. A serial killer is on the loose and it looks like he knows some magic too.

This first book in the Kara Gillian series was pretty enjoyable. The author balanced mystery, paranormal elements and some romance pretty well and in the end she had an engrossing read. I was never bored. Of course there was this one character that annoyed me a bit, but overall it was good.

What was good:
- the nice mystery plot: it was much more developed than mystery plots usually are in these kinds of books and it wasn't just about the 'paranormal angle'. It was refreshing.
- good pacing: I repeat, I was never bored.
- the heroine that wasn't tough but also wasn't a whiner: she was actually quite likable.
- the mysterious paranormal hot guy who wasn't totally annoying: I adored Rhyzkahl's 'otherness'. He was a bit typical of paranormal male leads, sure, but also cool. Just... cool.
- the hot, sexy scenes that didn't take over the entire story (read: nice balance, romance didn't turn this into a paranormal romance parading as urban fantasy). Enough said.
- an interesting world (still not well developed, but as I said: first book).

What wasn't so good:
- the somewhat annoying male that will be part of a love triangle (BUT he wasn't too bad, which is good): the FBI agent was not needed really. :P
- the cookie-cuter villain: the bad guy was so boringly evil. Mwahahah evil.
- the heroine's aunt was annoying: a bit too out-there and very stereotypical of the ditzy character. I didn't like her much.

Overall: thumbs-up! xD
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mark of the Demon.

01/24/2012 page 160

message 1: by Susana (new) - added it

Susana This story seems really interesting!
Another series to start. :D