Brandi's Reviews > Dublin Dead

Dublin Dead by Gerard O'Donovan

Jan 23, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: irish-crime-fiction, irish-literature

When I read beyond the first book in a series, it's generally because I want more of whatever I got from the first installment. It's not just about revisiting the main characters; it's also about the harder-to-define elements of tone, style, and, in detective fiction, the way the investigation is framed: how important the psychology of the murderer is, the level of action scenes, etc. Dublin Dead, though, is a very different story from The Priest. The Priest focused on a serial killer with bizarre religious motives, while Dublin Dead is about drugs gangs and career criminals. These crimes necessitate very different investigation styles, and produce very different stories. Dublin Dead involved a much bigger criminal cast, so that I not only kept forgetting who people were (though, to be fair, this is often what happens when you only read one chapter at a time, right before falling asleep), but none of the characters were as fleshed out as I'd like. There wasn't much depth to anyone's motives, because it's all about money. Dublin Dead essentially belongs to a different mystery subgenre than The Priest, which isn't a problem, per se, but mystery readers generally know exactly what they want. If there's another book in this series, I'll make sure to read the description before blindly picking it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dublin Dead.

January 23, 2012 – Shelved