Carol (Bookaria)'s Reviews > Severance

Severance by Ling  Ma

bookshelves: 2019, fiction, sci-fi

This is an introspective, character-driven novel. I was hesitant to pick it up but I’m glad I did.

The story follows Candace Chen as she navigates life in post-apocalyptic America. The world has succumbed to the “fever” and those who have caught it are called “fevered”.

A large part of the story takes place in NYC where Candace used to work for a publishing company, and it alternates between the present post-apocalyptic America, and the time before the epidemic arrived.

The novel moves at a slow pace because it takes its time describing details of Candace’s life and relationships, both in the present and in the past. At times I was confused when reading because the novel does not include quotation marks when the character’s are having a dialogue. Still, even with this issie I was able to follow the story easily.

Overall, I enjoyed it and recommend it to those who enjoy sci-fi and contemporary fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Severance.

January 8, 2019 – Started Reading
January 8, 2019 – Shelved
January 19, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
January 19, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction
January 19, 2019 – Shelved as: sci-fi
January 19, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Felicia (new)

Felicia I can't wait to see what you think of this one 💖 I really want to buy it just because it's pink and I don't have a pink book on my shelves.

Carol (Bookaria) Felicia wrote: "I can't wait to see what you think of this one 💖 I really want to buy it just because it's pink and I don't have a pink book on my shelves."

Felicia, I enjoyed it but I'm not sure the significance of pink in the cover. Hope you enjoy it!

message 3: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Awesome review Carol!😉💖

message 4: by JanB (new)

JanB I enjoy introspective, character driven novels so I may just check this out. Nice review Carol!

Carol (Bookaria) Kat wrote: "Awesome review Carol!😉💖"

Thank you, Kat!

Carol (Bookaria) JanB wrote: "I enjoy introspective, character driven novels so I may just check this out. Nice review Carol!"

Thank you, Jan! Hope you enjoy it :)

message 7: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Great review, Carol 💖

Carol (Bookaria) Felicia wrote: "Great review, Carol 💖"

Thank you, Felicia!

message 9: by The Captain (new) - added it

The Captain I hadn't heard of this one. Thanks for the review and letting me know about it!