Shelly's Reviews > The Philosopher's War

The Philosopher's War by Tom        Miller

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy-and-science-fiction, historical, first-reads-netgalley

Thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity to read the second book of Tom Miller's Philosophers series, The Philosopher's War in which Robert Weekes, after having proven many doubters wrong by showing the female-dominated world of Philosophy that males could, in fact, fly fast and well has joined R&E and is sent to Europe to rescue the injured on the battlefields of World War I.
I had some issues with the first novel pertaining to the characterization of the female philosophers and, I'll admit, I had the same issues with this book but that has more to do with my personal experience than with the writing. Despite this being the second of the series, a lot of explanation is required of the missions and the special equipment that the flyers and other branches of philosophy use and those passages tended to get tedious to me. Also, I'm not much of a war story fan and, as it is set in France at the end of WWI, there are several passages of detailed descriptions of casualties and dangerous missions. However, the action sequences did read more quickly than most of the rest of the book. What Miller does especially well is to delve into Robert's evolution from excited/nervous young man ready to prove himself in the war to the battle-tested and battle-scarred man torn between two loyalties.
The Philosopher's War is yet another book with an interesting and unique concept that explores pertinent ideas it just wasn't necessarily for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Philosopher's War.

January 8, 2019 – Shelved