Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Patsy

Patsy by Nicole Y. Dennis-Benn

After loving this author's last novel (Here Comes the Sun), I was looking forward to this one. I'm slightly disappointed that it isn't the same narrator because while this one is good, the previous one was luminous. I ended wondering if the characters in the first know the characters in the second but couldn't find out for sure.

At first this seems like another immigration novel, of a person trying to make it in America and finding it harder than they expected. And surely that is present in the novel, but in the end you find it asking much harder questions - how much is a person worth? Is their well-being enough to justify leaving behind a child if there is a change they can live a life elsewhere that they couldn't live where they were? Can a child have a relationship with or forgive a parent who has abandoned them? Will religion forever separate people of different sexual and gender identities, forcing them to make such decisions? Where does the blame actually lie?

So much to think and talk about. I empathize for Patsy while pondering her choices.

Oh and this was on the long list for the Tournament of Books, but I would have read it regardless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Patsy.

January 8, 2019 – Shelved