Bookgasms Book Blog's Reviews > On Thin Ice

On Thin Ice by Julie Cross

bookshelves: shelly

Full disclosure: I didn't realize that this was the third book in a series when I picked it up, but I'm happy to say that it reads like a true standalone. I had no problem connecting with Brooke and Jake's story, and didn't feel like I was missing any puzzle pieces. In fact, it wasn't until the very end when I put together which couples the previous books revolved around. So, if you, like me, are on the fence about it being the third book in a series you haven't read yet? I enthusiastically say, go for it!

Why? Because this is just a good story. It's a more mature YA and I went into it with a fair bit of skepticism (mostly because I knew I'd already missed out on two books of this series), but it managed to charm me and pull me right in anyway. It's a bit heavier than I was anticipating - there are definitely some timely and serious issues going on throughout the story and I think that it is far bigger than a YA romance. However, the YA romance is compelling in its own right and the chemistry between Brooke and Jake was on point and completely satisfying.

Those of you who read sports romance for the sports will be happy to know that there's actually a fair amount of hockey in this book! And yet those of you who may not be invested so much in the sport itself will be happy to know that it's not too much, you won't feel lost, and the role of hockey in the book serves as a catalyst for some of the deeper, more emotional storylines. It's a pretty complete package, and I'm so glad I took a chance on it!

In all, definitely worth the read! In fact, I'd like to circle back and read the books I missed because those couples seem like they might have had some pretty gripping storylines of their own. The writing is engaging and smart. The romance is sweet and sparky and tastefully heated. I really enjoyed my time with Brooke & Jake and will definitely be back for more from this author! ~ Shelly, 4 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Thin Ice.

Finished Reading