Eric Mesa's Reviews > Double Life

Double Life by S. Usher Evans

liked it
bookshelves: laser-challenge-2019
Read 2 times. Last read July 15, 2019 to July 31, 2019.

I met Ms. Usher Evans at Baltimore Comic-Con a year or two ago and she is a very prolific author. If any particular book of yours isn't your cup of tea, you can try another - she has magical school YA, fantasy, and SF as well as others. This book is one of her science fiction books.

I like the character Ms. Evans makes with Razia/Lyssa. By changing the context I'm used to, changed the way I look at dual identities in another medium - the superhero story. Her struggles are also quite relevant in the current moment in which MAYBE we might finally be working towards a more equitable work environment for women. Her internal monologue is pretty realistic as are her interactions with others.

I think where the book fell short for me was in the pacing. The book pretty quickly introduces us to Razia/Lyssa's skills, shortcomings, and challenges. Then spends most of the rest of the book without the stakes rising or falling significantly. There isn't really a climax to this story, just a couple hills in place of what should be a mountain, figuratively. I don't know if it's because it was a planned trilogy or just one of Ms. Evans' earlier novels, but I just found myself wondering when things would pick up.

I'm not soured on Ms. Evans' writing; I'd like to check out some of her other series. But I think I'm done with Razia.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Double Life.

Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
January 7, 2019 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
January 7, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
January 7, 2019 – Shelved
January 23, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 15, 2019 – Started Reading
July 16, 2019 –
8.0% "Very interesting prologue and first chapter. Interesting world and a pretty good motivation for our protagonist. Let's see where it goes!"
July 18, 2019 –
19.0% "Almost 1/5 there. Very curious where Ms. Evans is going to take this story."
July 19, 2019 –
22.0% "Things get even worse for Razia"
July 19, 2019 –
25.0% "Perhaps finally a lucky break"
July 23, 2019 –
31.0% "Humiliation and then comic relief"
July 24, 2019 –
47.0% "A major change in the status quo"
July 25, 2019 –
52.0% "Turning a corner?"
July 29, 2019 –
71.0% "Unable to figure out where this is going. Seems to be avoiding a lot of tropes."
July 30, 2019 –
81.0% "Poor, Poor Lyssa"
July 31, 2019 –
90.0% "A realization for our protagonist and potentially a literal deus ex machina"
July 31, 2019 – Shelved as: laser-challenge-2019