Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > Be Brave in the Scared: How I Learned to Trust God during the Most Difficult Days of My Life

Be Brave in the Scared by Mary E. Lenaburg

2281988

bookshelves: genre-non-fiction, level-adult, 2019

I discovered Mary Lenaburg's blog just a few days before her daughter Courtney passed away in December 2014. As I read her updates about the final days of Courtney's life, I also read through her old blog posts, trying to learn everything I could about Mary's journey as Courtney's mom. Though I follow Mary on Instagram and have heard her speak at a local parish, I was still really excited to read this book and finally read her whole journey from beginning to end.

Be Brave in the Scared decidedly does not disappoint! Mary very honestly and openly shares about the struggles she endured as she journeyed through daily life with a special needs child, and in each chapter, she points the reader to God, showing where and how his grace and mercy touched her life. The scripture verses and opportunities for journaling at the end of each of the chapters invite us readers to reflect not just on Mary's story, but on the ways God acts in our own stories. In general, this book is a wonderful reminder to remain hopeful in the face of difficulties and never to despair, because there is no obstacle that is insurmountable for God.

Also, I loved Mary's husband's introduction - it made me laugh out loud, and was a great, light way to start this emotional rollercoaster of a book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Be Brave in the Scared.

January 7, 2019 – Shelved