Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > The Enchanted Hour: The Miraculous Power of Reading Aloud in the Age of Distraction

The Enchanted Hour by Meghan Cox Gurdon

2281988

bookshelves: 2019, challenge-alphabet-soup, challenge-library-love, genre-non-fiction, level-adult

The Enchanted Hour by Wall Street Journal children's book reviewer Meghan Cox Gurdon is a fascinating look into the social and scientific reasons reading aloud is good for everyone, from babies to the elderly. The book is a good mix of scientific studies, personal anecdotes (from Gurdon's family and others), and it even includes a practical chapter on how to fit read-aloud time into your family life. While there are no book lists included, many wonderful titles are name-dropped throughout the text, and there is a wonderfully clear-headed and common-sense treatment of some of the problematic subject matter in older books (something that was interesting to me as a reader of vintage kidlit.) Though Gurdon doesn't need to convince me of the value of reading aloud, I still found the information she presented to be interesting and more comprehensive than what I've seen in other books of this type. She's also an engaging writer, and her writing style really meshed well with my reading preferences.

This review also appears on my Instagram account.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enchanted Hour.

January 7, 2019 – Shelved