Kate ✨ is a dreamer's Reviews > Hot Head

Hot Head by Damon Suede

22207986
3 stars!

I read this to fulfill the LGBTQ+ category of the Romance Roundabout Reading Challenge (which I am continuing to do and track, even if the moderators discontinued the challenge).

I was really excited when I saw this book on my library app, because Friends-to-Lovers tropes are some of my favorites! The slow-burn and the uncertainty, and the seemingly unrequited love is just really sweet and I love reading them. So I was expectedly very excited for Hot Head, with the added part of them doing sex for money, as friends before they accept their feelings for each other.

Don't get me wrong, I adored Griff (the main character). He was very sweet, and had that whole hot-hero-doesn't-know-it thing going on, which is just icing to the cake. I was very unsure about Dante in the beginning, because he just seemed like a bit of a cocky screw-up. But eventually he grew on me.

I really liked the story! But I was just a bit let down on both the sex-capade aspect, and the relationship. These two were getting paid to get kinky with each other, and we had a huge buildup when Griff watched Dante have a round by himself on camera. But when they actually got together... it was just a normal scene (with a camera), and an annoying fade-to-black finish that was never reflected upon or filled in.

I already said that my favorite part of friends-to-lovers romance is the slow-burn and the buildup ... but good lord. There was so much buildup that we hardly got to see a result! The book felt like a series of back-and-forths of doing things, and then feeling things, and then feeling guilty for feeling things. We saw them as a couple for a very short time, as well as an adorable family dinner, but I was left feeling bereft and robbed of my chance to really see them as a couple.

A big part of the book was that the firehouse (as they're both firemen) seemed pretty homophobic - whether that's because of masculine ribbing or actual feelings, nobody knows. But we never saw them deal with that or any of the life changes that would have to occur for them to be together.

Overall, it's a sweet read about two men who are best friends, and eventually become more. But there were several holes and left-out information that kept me from elevating this up to an even four stars. I recommend this to anyone looking for a nice, fluffy, entertaining read that admittedly does get a little slow at certain points. But it's certainly well-written with interesting characters :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hot Head.

January 4, 2019 – Started Reading