Jenn's Reviews > Call It What You Want

Call It What You Want by Brigid Kemmerer

bookshelves: 5-star-reads, books-i-own, contemporary, forever-recommend, high-school-days, read-in-2019, young-adult

This book was heavy. But I absolutely loved it. It has heartbreak, love, betrayal, backstabbing, lies, and just drama but not stupid high school drama. No, this drama is the kind that just suffocates your heart until you don't think you can breathe until it leaves you gasping. This kind of drama tears apart your family and friends.

Meet Rob and Maegan - both have had a hard time of things lately for very different reasons. Maegan was caught cheating on the SATs and because of that, many students scores were disqualified. And Rob, well, his father was recently caught embezzling money from his clients and then tried to kill himself. Both were outcasts but they end up being paired together for a math project and discover just how lonely they have been.

This story hurt my heart. Both of these characters just felt so much that it bled off of the pages. While Maegan's was of her own doing, it didn't lessen her pain. And being inside of her head, I did feel bad for her. She was an AP student who made a mistake that ended up defining her. And while she's dealing with this fallout, her sister comes back home and just adds more fuel to the fire. But I loved how caring she was and how she just wanted to do the right thing. But it was Rob who broke me the most. Mostly because what happened wasn't his fault. He was paying for the sins of his father in the worst way. And he just didn't know how to make things better.

I loved the raw emotions that Kemmerer brought out in this book. She wasn't afraid to push her characters or have them break completely. The situations in this book were hard to read at times, but that's life. And Kemmerer captured it beautifully. Everyone should read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call It What You Want.

January 7, 2019 – Shelved