Munch's Reviews > The Unbound Empire

The Unbound Empire by Melissa Caruso

Read 2 times. Last read April 19, 2019 to April 21, 2019.

I was sent this arc via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

Warnings: death, blood and a bit of gore, the usual fantasy fare

Wow what a wrap up! This trilogy just got better and better. I liked the first book though some of the characters annoyed me but I noticed so much growth over the last two books I became really attached to them.

It pretty much starts where it left off from the second book but it still goes slowly enough to draw you back into the world and characters but not so slow that you're bored. I've noticed that the description has gotten a bit more flowery but I still enjoyed it, it didn't get too much.

We go by the POV of Amalia, first person. I've always had a soft spot for first person narrative. I did find it stopped me from understanding certain characters in the first book but that definitely changed in the second book. Amalia is smart and resourceful, she uses her intellect to get her out of situations and I grew very fond of her. Though sometimes her guilt got a bit much at times but it was realistic. I enjoyed watching her grow closer to Zaira, I wanted from the first book to see them become close friends and I certainly got my wish. I loved her relationship with her mother, she loves and respects her and you can tell that her mother really cares for her and her wellbeing which she shows it in subtle ways.

Zaira was a character that took me awhile to get used to, in the first book she is just so angry all the time. Though her anger is justified it got irritating to watch her constantly turning down anyone who tried to show her kindness. As you get to know her over the trilogy you get to understand why that is and I found her compelling. Her relationship with another character (no spoilers for anyone who hasn't read the second book) is just so heart-warming and that combined with her growing friendship with Amalia really helped me warm to her. Her struggles with her power and how to control it is very emotional to read.

Marcello is my least favourite character I found him bland and unfortunately that didn't change that much. I just don't know why I couldn't like him, he had his moments but he just seemed to be the ultra nice and kind love interest to me. Though in this book something very interesting happens to him that made me more interested in him.

Now for my favourite, Kathe. Any pretty guy who can offer me cuddles with baby foxes has my love. But it's not just because he's pretty and powerful. He's also complex and interesting, he's not all good and he's not all bad. He loves his land and people and will go to any extreme to protect them. His playful nature while sometimes frustrating endeared him to me and made me smile. Every time someone mentioned a game he just perked right up. I loved that we got to meet some of his Heartguard, they were awesome. I said it in my review of the second book and I'll say it again, bring on a book about Kathe's life before this trilogy! I want that so bad!

The side characters in this are also interesting and complex (with a couple of exceptions) and bring their own depth to the story. My favourites had to be Jerith and Balos, they were just great to read about. Their loyalty to each other is inspiring.

One of the other things I loved about the series was the banter and humour between the characters. It seemed sometimes the higher the stakes the funnier the dialogue gets and I appreciated that. And boy were the stakes high in this series, there were so many times I thought they had no way of winning, it certainly keeps you on edge.

I highly recommend giving this trilogy a go if you haven't already especially if you like your fantasy with magic, mayhem and politics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbound Empire.

Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
January 7, 2019 – Shelved
January 7, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
April 19, 2019 – Started Reading
April 19, 2019 –
14.0% "Sounds like the perfect Falconer to me"
April 20, 2019 –
57.0% "This will probably be a unpopular opinion but I like this change in character"
April 20, 2019 –
63.0% "I want them to meet Kathe's Heartguard, they sound awesome"
April 21, 2019 –
76.0% "Kathe is a Disney Princess but with no singing needed XD"
April 21, 2019 –
82.0% "Oh my god, I love these characters. They better not die"
93.0% "Yeah me too"
April 21, 2019 –
96.0% "Baby foxes?! Choose Let!!!!"
April 21, 2019 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
April 21, 2019 – Finished Reading