Yvonne Aburrow's Reviews > Shards of Honour

Shards of Honour by Lois McMaster Bujold

Very enjoyable science fiction exploring the clash between two cultures. Initially I preferred the Betan culture until I found out about their psychiatric methods. Although the Barrayarans are military idiots, there’s a certain elegance to their way of thinking. I really liked the two main characters, Naismith and Vorkosigan, both of whom are honourable people (hence the title). I also like the way that the author deals with stuff in a way that other writers don’t, like the recovery of bodies from wrecked spaceships. The characters are well drawn and their motivations are subtle. I was quite surprised to learn that this was a first novel.

Almost knocked off a star from my rating for one confusing section, but added it back on for the closing scene. Also the way that consensual sex was included was very tasteful, and not really described, just hinted at. There was one issue where a rape is described as “sleeping with” by Vorkosigan, and I’d have expected Naismith to have challenged that description.

I definitely want to read the rest of the series, though it sounds like Cordelia Naismith is only in the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shards of Honour.

January 7, 2019 – Shelved