Karen's Reviews > Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup

Bad Blood by John Carreyrou

190448

This book showed up in my life in so many ways that I couldn't continue to ignore it. When my book club picked it months and months ago, I thought it would be a boring, sensationalist read. I live a few streets down from where Theranos was. I work in Silicon Valley and all the little cafes mentioned in the book are in my neighborhood. I figured I knew all I needed to know about this story.

Then it started popping up all over my Instagram feed by several bookgrammers I follow. My friend whose judgement I generally trust said it was a really good read. And then the clincher was when my brother-in-law said he was up until 2am reading the book and that it was one of his best reads of 2018. I finally succumbed to the universe and bought the book with my audible credits.

It took me a little less than 24 hours to finish because this book is written in a way that makes it very hard to put down. Even when you know half the story. The number of unconscionable acts in this story are appalling. The fact that the house of cards didn't come down for as long as it lasted in quite mind blowing.

But what made me the saddest reading this book wasn't even Holmes' actions. She clearly lost her way at some point and decided to put her greed above anything else and that part of the story I knew (even if I didn't know all the bullying, secrecy and just outright creepy things she did to her employees.) What caught me by surprise was the way in which people/companies came on board even while suspecting there was something off. They were so worried about their FOMO that they chose to be a part of fraud rather than miss out on something real. Walgreens was worried CVS would do the deal if they didn't. The number of times people say But what if we pass on this and it's real blew my mind. Couple FOMO with a charismatic, passionate, successful-looking female CEO and you have yourself a perfect smokescreen. One she took advantage of to its fullest extent.

Parts of this story made my skin crawl. And other parts were more like facepalm. I don't know whether to be grateful that the journalist kept pushing until it finally fell apart or horrified that it took as long as it did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Blood.

January 7, 2019 – Started Reading