Pricky's Reviews > Under the Never Sky

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

As seen on Zombie Mommies.

Finally. It's happened. Book after book, I'd been waiting for that ONE close-to-perfect story of 2 polar opposites: characters who hate each other--then grow to love. And while there have been some really great stories out there like Angelfall and Legend which share a similar element, I wanted something more: I wanted to feel more of their hate for each other on the onset.(Of course, what you feel is completely subjective so that's not to say the other stories can't produce the same feeling. It's just that this one worked better for me.)

Having been raised on the inside of a metal dome (pod), Aria's life basically consists of visits to the Realms through her smarteye. The Realms are a multi-sensory, multi-dimensional place accessible through your brain. Think of it like the Matrix. But when Aria loses contact with her mother (who is a geneticist/scientist on a secret mission), she is determined to find out the cause. Her plan? Hang out with the son of the man in charge of the mission by sneaking into an empty section of the pod. Unfortunately, not the best plan for her as she ends up exiled to the outside world.

A world she has only heard stories about. "A world of nevers under a never sky." A place controlled by the Aether storms: a swirl of colorful clouds that strike fire on the ground. A place governed by Savages: tribes that survive together. Here, Aria must learn to survive or die.

First, I hope I haven't divulged too much. The beginning was a bit confusing so I hoped to give you a base to start from. And even as I was intrigued by this "new world," my interest really didn't pick up until about 100 pages in...right when Aria and Perry meet up. But then. Oh boy, did things start to get really interesting...

What I loved most about this story was Aria and Perry's relationship: their misconceptions and disgust for each other. It was raw hatred. Which made it all the more exciting and fulfilling to discover how, when, and why those feelings changed. And why they need each other even more now. Aria was especially an interesting character to me; I really enjoyed her sarcasm, optimism--even in light of dire situations, kindness, sacrifice, and naivety. Oh! and how Perry rivals all the other male leads! He is both ruthless and gentle, loyal, and sensitive.

The other parts I loved were how so many ideas were woven so neatly into this complex world: the idea of nature being a catalyst for genetic change (our "senses" growing stronger), genetic modifications, and how a simulated reality can alter our nature. By the way, the Aether storms aren't fully explained--which I didn't have too much of a problem with...I assume it's an act of nature. But then again, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's the result of a nuclear bomb or something. So, yeah...I guess Rossi could have explained its origin better as well as how it contributed to the genetic mutations.

Overall though, Rossi must have read my mind. For me, this book had all the right elements that made it one of the best stories I've read so far this year. I do still like the UK edition better *sigh* and the tag line makes better sense, too.

The only bummer about reading this so late in the year (sadly, I had to wait that long for its library arrival) is that I missed all of her book signings! If I had only known...but at least now I won't have to wait so long for #2!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Never Sky.

January 22, 2012 – Shelved
September 11, 2012 – Started Reading
September 20, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Eva Rose for some reason this book inspire me to listen to oldies like the Bee Gees and Air supply. XDDD

message 2: by Lis (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lis Yay!! This one is definitely going on my 'best of the year' list. Excellent review :) Perry is totally book bf material :) and the END!! Pretty sure I cried tears of great happiness ;)

message 3: by Lis (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lis and agreed about the uk edition love that tag line and cover :) okay ill stop flooding your comment board now...

Pricky E wrote: "and agreed about the uk edition love that tag line and cover :) okay ill stop flooding your comment board now..."

Ha! You can flood my comment board anytime! It's not like it's getting much traffic. ;) So yes, you make me feel important. :) And I'm seriously trying to figure out how I'm going to get the UK edition. Perry on the cover is oh, my HOT!

message 5: by Shelly (new)

Shelly What did you think of the rest of the series? I haven't started yet but wondered if the rest of the series was as good.