CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨'s Reviews > Autoboyography

Autoboyography by Christina Lauren

My full review of the book can be found on my blog, The Quiet Pond.

I have to admit I'm confused over the utter and overwhelming adoration for this book.

- Follows Tanner, a bisexual teen who lives in Provo, Utah, and meets, and falls in love, with Sebastian, a Mormon teen.
- This book explores a variety of issues; in particular, it explores how faith shapes the way we perceive and understand the world and the conflict that arises when two people of different beliefs fall in love (particularly when it is love between two men).
- I have a lot of mixed feelings about the portrayal of religion in this book. On one hand, I found the portrayal to be... strange. tame. cherry-picked? But I don't think my thoughts on this should carry much weight.
- The plot was fragmented, and some plot points just dropped off even though they were presented as being significant. The only coherent thing was Tanner and Sebastian's romance.
- On a very personal level (which isn't indicative of the book's quality but it is of my enjoyment): I don't hate instalove because it does exist - attraction exists! - but hell, this book made me realise that I am definitely demiromantic. This instalove was extremely intense.
- Though, there were some cute moments?
- I... really hated how this book did Autumn dirty. It didn't bother me that she was unlikeable. It bothered me that she (a) served as collateral damage to Tanner's page, to later be made into a source of conflict between him and Sebastian (which didn't even serve the plot well anyway?) and (b) book doesn't even really challenge how wrong this was, but Autumn says it was her fault; it doesn't matter if Tanner felt bad about it, but it does matter that Autumn's characterisation, up to this point, made sense, and then she comes around and says it was her fault. WHY.

Trigger/content warning: (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autoboyography.

January 6, 2019 – Started Reading
January 6, 2019 – Shelved
January 14, 2019 –
29.0% "I feel like I'm way too ace for this book lol"
January 22, 2019 – Finished Reading