♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > Masque of the Red Death

Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

4.5 Stars

Wow. Loved this one, and I'm dying to know what happens next!

Seventeen-year old Araby Worth, is basically sleepwalking through life, going through the motions. Escaping the desperate life that has become reality, by dressing up and going to the Debauchery Club at night, escaping in whatever way available. Things were not like this before the plague. Back when Araby's twin brother was alive, and her family was still whole. But things changed after plague hit the world. The world has turned into a bleak place; one where people are just trying to survive. A place where having a mask means life or death. Araby's father is a scientist and the inventor of the mask that keeps the remaining population alive. Because of this, Araby and her family live a life in relative luxury compared to other people. This doesn't bring happiness to Araby, though. She feels guilty for surviving when she thinks her parents wish her brother would've instead. Araby has resigned herself to living this shell of a life but things are about to change. Two things happen, or maybe I should say, two men happen. First, there is Will. He works at the club, checking people in and making sure they're free of disease before they're allowed entrance. Here is what Araby thinks of Will:

If I were honest with myself, I might admit that these few moments are why I come here, week after week. Swirling tattoos cover his arms, climbing up from the collar of his shirt to twist around his throat, the ends hidden by his tousled dark hair. I try not to look at him. He could make me happy. His attention, a hint of admiration in his eyes….I don't deserve happiness.

Okay, snap out of it! Yes, he's dreamy, and yes, all the club girls lust after him, but he's more than just a pretty face. Araby finds out that he alone is caring for his brother and sister. Saving up so they both have a mask and can go to school. Araby captures Will's attention when he realizes that she's more than just a shallow party girl, and the sparks fly.

Second, there is Elliott. He's Prince Prospero's rich nephew. However, Araby finds out that he's much more. Elliott hates the way his uncle rules over the people, and how the city is turning into ruins. He's organizing a revolution and he'll use anything or anyone to accomplish his goals. Elliott approaches Araby to help because of her scientist father, and her potential access to his crucial intelligence. It seems, though, that Elliott is not immune to Araby's charms, either. He's obviously taken with Araby, not that she really believes that. Even if she did, could he put her above his goals and ambitions?

I had a bit of a hard time getting into this story at first. It felt a little slow in the beginning but boy, did it pick up. Anyone who knows me knows that I hate love triangles! They can be the most frustrating feature of a book, making you want to tear your hair out. Yet, there is a love triangle in this story, and I'm not upset at all. For some reason it worked in this case. In fact, at this point, Araby could choose either Will or Elliott and I'd be happy. They are both very swoon-worthy (and just plain worthy) in their own right. I thought the world building was well done. You really got a feel for this world and its atmosphere. There is some good action, suspense, and a few plot twists, and surprises. I was on the edge of my seat in the end. While, I wouldn't categorize this as a horrible cliffhanger, you're definitely left hanging. I can't wait for the next one, which, by the way is the conclusion. The author told me there are two books total.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masque of the Red Death.

January 22, 2012 – Shelved
March 8, 2012 – Started Reading
March 8, 2012 –
page 72
22.57% "I was having a hard time getting into this at first but now it's coming along."
March 9, 2012 –
page 106
33.23% "Not liking this vow business. Liking Will though."
March 9, 2012 –
page 207
64.89% "Oh my. Why does it seem every swoon-worthy male is named Will? Somewhat of a triangle going here but not a violence inducing one. I'm liking both Elliot and Will. Not sure which one I'd pick."
March 10, 2012 –
page 279
87.46% "Noooo!!!"
March 10, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

Wendy Darling Hope you enjoy, Rachel. :)

♥Rachel♥ Thanks Wendy. :)

♥Rachel♥ Oh yes! :)

Heidi I can't wait for this one!

Kristina Snyder Can't wait to read this one. The cover is very pretty.

♥Rachel♥ Heidi and Kristina, I think you'll like this one. I did, and yes the cover is really pretty. :)

Heidi Watching for your review :)

~Tina~ Gawd this sounds incredible! Awesome review!

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Tina and Sam. This was a pleasant surprise for me especially when I had a little trouble in the beginning. I really ended up liking it! Sam, both Will and Elliott are pretty dreamy! Hope you guys end up liking it when you read it. :)

Heidi Oh no two of my pet peeves,cliffhangers and love triangles. It still sounds good loved that description swirling tatoos and tousled hair..nice. It sounds so dark and depressing and a Debauchery Club. Definitely lots to check out.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura Wow! This sounds awesome! For some reason “awesome” is my word of the day. Hehe…Wonderful review, Rachel! :) “very swoon-worthy (and just plain worthy)”—made me giggle! & I am shocked! No trilogy?! I love this author already! ;)

♥Rachel♥ Heidi, the ending is not too bad, it just makes you want to read the second book soon. And Will, *sigh* with his swirling tattoos, delicious! :)

Laura, I know, I kinda sick of the trilogies! So glad this is going to wrap up in two books instead of being dragged out forever. Thanks, I love the word awesome. Especially if someone is using it in relation to me, lol!! ;) What are you reading right now, Ms. Awesome?

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura hehe...you made me giggle again! Thanks! :D I am reading The Things a Brother Knows
VERY powerful!

message 14: by Jasprit (new)

Jasprit Yes as Laura said this is an awesome review, seriously Rachel you are coming across some awesome books, first fifty and now this? ;)

♥Rachel♥ Laura is liking that word a lot! Lol! Thank you Jasprit. Are you liking Darker? :)

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura haha...I just caught myself from saying it today actually! hehe...It is going to take all my strength and self control! haha....who am I kidding--I don't have either one of those things! ;)

message 17: by Jasprit (new)

Jasprit Ha I just noticed I said it twice in one sentence! Don't worry Laura I don't have any either! I'm actually onto the last book, I was actually telling Laura the other day that I was going to have a break and come back to it, but I couldn't help myself ;)

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura haha...Nice! Fifty Fever! Can't wait to hear how you like it! Have fun with Fifty,
Jasprit! ...sigh...Jeez! I suddenly miss the guy! Perhaps I will have to read a few of my favorite parts tonight. **blushing** ;)

message 19: by Jasprit (new)

Jasprit Laura do it! I actually re-read my fave scenes after I finished each book, just so that they were fresh in my mind! ;)

♥Rachel♥ Oh my. Mr. Grey!!! I won't be able to stop thinking about him for a looooong time. ;)

Arlene Awesome review Rachel! I can't wait to read this one!

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Arlene. Hope you like it when you read it. :)

Wendy Darling Oh, just two books? That's awesome! I'm glad you liked this one too, Rachel. I think I'd be okay with either boy she chose, too. Both hiding things, but both very interesting. :)

message 24: by Sonya (new) - added it

Sonya Great review, Rachel! After reading your reivew, I have high expectation to this. :-)
*heading to see when it will hit the shelf*