Brenda's Reviews > The True Story of Maddie Bright

The True Story of Maddie Bright by Mary-Rose MacColl

Seventeen-year-old Maddie Bright was a naïve young woman whose choice was to help her family after the devastation of war. Her father was a changed man, her eldest brother hadn’t made it home. Her mother was struggling to make ends meet with her brothers, plus Maddie and their parents to feed and clothe. When the 1920 tour by the Prince of Wales arrived at Australia’s shores, Maddie was delighted to be offered a job as serving girl aboard the train which carried the prince and his entourage. She became friends with Helen Burns, press secretary and Rupert Waters, the prince’s right-hand man, and Edward himself had Maddie in awe.

Events which Maddie could not have foreseen occurred and changed her life and the direction of her future forever.

In 1997 Maddie was in her nineties and living in Brisbane, Australia. A reclusive writer whose fame as M.A. Bright was renown, Maddie, through her agent, contacted London journalist Victoria Byrd with the promise of an interview – one no one had been able to write over the decades since her novel had been written. Victoria was filled with curiosity and perhaps a little awe…

Set in three timeframes – 1920, 1981 and 1997 – The True Story of Maddie Bright is a fascinating read which is well based on fact. The story of Edward, Prince of Wales; the people who surrounded him; then much later Princess Diana’s arrival into the royal family, culminating in her as the people’s Princess – with Maddie’s narration pulling all the threads together beautifully. Maddie was an intriguing character, well written and easy to love. Aussie author Mary-Rose MacColl has produced an enthralling picture filled with heartache, love and friendship which covers decades. Highly recommended.

With thanks to Allen & Unwin AU for my uncorrected proof ARC to read in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The True Story of Maddie Bright.

January 6, 2019 – Shelved
March 30, 2019 – Started Reading
March 31, 2019 – Shelved as: 5000-2019
March 31, 2019 – Shelved as: own-read
March 31, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Dale Harcombe Glad you loved it, Brenda. I had the feeling I would be the outlier a bit on this one.

Brenda Thanks Dale :) We're all different and that's a good thing..

Claire I loved this book, I read it last year and wanted someone to discuss it with

Brenda Oh wow did you?! It was only published today :) It was a brilliant read Claire!

Marianne Great review, Brenda, I knew you would love this one!

Brenda Thanks Marianne :)