Madeleine's Reviews > Maybe in Another Life

Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid

20603646

liked it
bookshelves: 2019-reads, x-romance

I'll admit -- I only discovered TJR after Evelyn Hugo. I've already devoured Daisy Jones as well, so now I'm working my way through her backlist. Maybe in Another Life is the first book I've read of her more typical "romance" books.

This book was an easy read for sure, as most romance books are. I loved the unique take on a common literary device -- dual timelines. A lot of this book actually reminded me of the TV show Community's chaos theory episode. What if everything that can happen, does happen?

Although this book was definitely a "slump-buster" for me (which I desperately needed and appreciated), I honestly was a little disappointed in it overall. I kind of expected one timeline to be the "true" timeline. And I had issues with a few things that get into spoiler territory:

(view spoiler)

Also, I am a nurse, and I don't particularly enjoy reading (or even watching) fiction related to the medical field... my time off is my time off AWAY FROM WORK. This book had a medical storyline I wasn't aware of before reading it, which detracted from my enjoyment of the book overall. One of the curses of being in healthcare is that I can't help but criticize fictionalized versions of it -- none of the things that happen in the book would be what happens in real life. I suppose if I had advance warning of it and could have prepared myself, it would have been a different story, but alas...

I did like the questions the book puts out: What if everything that can happen, does happen? I liked that certain thoughts and paragraphs of Hannah's internal monologue repeated themselves in both timelines, showing that some things are unavoidable no matter what decision you make. I loved the friendship between Hannah and Gabby. The overall criticisms I had of this book are mainly personal issues, so overall I would still recommend this book! I can't wait to dig deeper into TJR's backlist myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maybe in Another Life.

January 6, 2019 – Shelved