Luna Bookish's Reviews > The Alienist

The Alienist by Caleb Carr

bookshelves: mystery

I was not disappointed by this 1800s historical classic mystery. The length was perfect, I didn't feel like there were parts that could have been cut. On top of that the pacing was also wonderful. The array of characters of our main group are great great chemistry, but also realistic.

There are some strong characters in here and some you don't always feel like you can trust. I love when I find characters I adore, but there is just something a little unsettling. I find that leads me to question a lot more and read more intently to see if I can catch anything. I also loved the use of real historical figures and characters in this book, it really made this historical fiction feel like it was real. I have to say it is one of my favorite things when a historical fiction surrounds people who actually lived.

Overall, this was a great adventure and I am very, very happy that this is a series.I recommend it to anyone looking for a good on your toes mystery. I will warn there is some graphic treatment of children in this story. So if that bothers you this might not be for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alienist.

January 6, 2019 – Shelved
January 6, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
August 2, 2019 – Started Reading
page 36
page 76
page 151
page 248
page 287
57.63% "I truly love that Theodore Roosevelt pops up in this book so much."
page 351