C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Me I Meant to Be

The Me I Meant to Be by Sophie Jordan

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2019, young-adult

It definitely had cute moments, but overall it felt just too insipid for me. [awkward pause] It's dual-narrated story about Willa and Flor (besties) and how Willa breaks the girl-code and starts dating Flor’s ex. While Flor’s failing school, her dad is negligent and awful, and she’s falling for her hot tutor dude. SO. Honestly the entire premise is fluff and romance — which isn’t strictly my thing. But it was a surprise ARC and I was curious so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

➸ I do like how the book calls out a lot of problematic things! Like boys being entitled to girls’ bodies, about girls slut-shaming other girls, about how your friendships should be very very important (not just your romances).

➸ Flor and Grayson = ok I loved these two’s storyline! Grayson is mysterious and turns up with bruises and is whip-smart and a tutor. Flor is good at soccer and super rich, but ignored by her dad and replaced by a simpering new step-mum, and she’s terrible at school. They had intriguing dynamics and lots of chemistry.

➸ Willa and Zach = ok these were my problem two…Zach WAS entitled. He’s Flor’s ex but Willa’s always been in love with him. He’s the football golden boy and just…a jock jerk. There was nothing to him. Willa was the introvert who claimed she was a loser bECAUSE SHE DIDN’T HAVE A CAR (?!!?) and her storyline snowballed into being told to “live more”…aka being an introvert is bad. I’m mad ok.

➸ I also realise Flor is brown on the cover, but I couldn’t find a single page where it referred to her being brown. Did I miss it?

➸ It didn’t really focus on friendships by the end anyway. It was all boys boys boys.

➸ The rich entitlement really got to me too. These kids were all. filthy. rich. And when Flor throws the line of “Wow highschool sucks, will we ever survive”, I couldn’t. Their lives were so privileged. 😐😐

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Me I Meant to Be.

January 6, 2019 – Started Reading
January 6, 2019 – Shelved
January 6, 2019 –
page 30
9.87% "I do feel full pity for books published on January 1st...because there is like 500 years between Dec 31st and Jan 1st aND I FORGET TO READ SO SO MANY BOOKS WOW."
January 7, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary