Nilufer Ozmekik's Reviews > Ninth House

Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo

liked it

Yesssss! I finished this book in one hour and got all references at one time. I turned into most intelligent book reading machine and started to turn two pages at a time (because my mind can already feel what’s written at the next page, unbelievable, isn’t it?) I didn’t get bored. I didn’t yawn or complain about my heavy eyelids because I was so alert and concentrated. And of course, I loved those characters so much, I never had an urge to slap one of them or hate any of them. They were memorable, amazing, marvelous and fantastic!

Then I got a phone call from my husband suggested me to move to France and as a surprise he bought me a vineyard so we can raise our own grapes and produce our own wines! whaaaattt?

And at home Netflix CEO and Martin Scorsese were waiting for me, playing with dogs, drinking my Chardonnay! They bended on their knees and begged me to work with them as my neighbors giving me a trophy for being “the most honorable and loveable neighbor of the city”! COME AGAIN???!

Then I heard a voice and realized Tom Ellis standing in our living room, asking me: “Tell me, what is that you truly desire?” Yesssss!!!

THEN I SUDDENLY WOKE UP!

Oh Come on, Martie and Lucifer Morningstar weren’t at my house! Damn it!

Do you know why? Because first 100 pages of this book gave me an urge to perform hara-kiri by using my kindle. I even found myself murmuring Japanese words ( Only Japanese words I know: the menu of my favorite sushi place, so this book made me achieve something impossible!)

So if you know my address, you can stop by for throwing rotten tomatoes, eggs and screaming “Idiot! What’s wrong with you? Aren’t you intelligent enough to understand the story?” But at first you need to pass my crazy neighbor who sings BOYZ II Men songs day and night. (I’m not exaggerating, yesterday I woke up with his singing “End of the road” in the most ear bleeding tune!)

I read too many good reviews and I truly love this author’s works and this is at the top of my most anticipated books of this year! So as soon as I get my hands on it, I jumped up down, danced, yelled, and somersaulted. As a summary I did all those mature things a regular 40 years old crazy lady could perform!

But as soon as I started to read, I thought that something wrong with me because I felt like I disconnected with the book as if somebody pulled off my plug or turned my brain cells’ functioning off. I felt like Jim Carrey from Dumb and Dumber, giving blank looks to the walls as my saliva is dripping down on my chin! So I read first 100 pages at 5 hours. Can you believe it? You cannot! But it’s true! And I didn’t totally get anything. So I gave short breaks, popped up my fish oil tablets (I thought they could help my mind to function faster!)

I kept repeating myself, “This is the same author who wrote Six of Crows, right? Maybe I’m at the alternate universe and I read different version of book or too much Chardonnay finally turned me into regular brainless Hollywood person!”
So the intriguing blurb of Galaxy Stern a.k.a Alex who suffered from big traumas, abuse, too many horrible things finally makes a fresh start by starting to study in Yale. She meets with Darlington ( definitely not my darling!) who informs her about nine secret societies and their rituals. As the season turns into spring, we see that Alex still fights with her past demons and a girl’s murder triggers her traumatic experiences. She is so adamant to solve the case even though it means she has to face the ghosts of her old life.

So this seems like my kind of story I actually like. It’s dark! It’s wild! There is a big mystery! Magical rituals, mystery, a tormented but strong heroine!

BUT… My expectations are flying in the sky because I know this author has one of the most talented brains on the earth. But the story telling are so slow and those intelligent references seemed like too pretentious and made me confused and lost! I pushed myself too hard to finish like a job or a secret mission but reading shouldn’t be a torture or obligation. You read it because you love the books and you love how they make you feel. But this book didn’t make me relaxed, happy, entertained, excited, it just suffocated me.
I couldn’t relate with Alex, Darlington and I tried my best but I didn’t like Sandow, Hellie, Dawlos, too.

So maybe I decided to read this in a wrong time. Maybe I had a focusing problem or I’m in a dark mood when winter comes or I didn’t feel like to read something like that! But unfortunately this is not my cup of tea (I hate by the way! Let’s say not cup of my almond milk latte!)

You may expel me to the minority city and punish me to have a few days without my kindle or boo me for my review but these are my thoughts. This book didn’t work for me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ninth House.

January 6, 2019 – Shelved
January 6, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 14, 2019 – Started Reading
October 18, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)

message 1: by TMR (new) - rated it 2 stars

TMR Oh geez, I heard a lot of things about this book. And certainly none of them are good. I’ve requested a library copy, so a bit worried now. Should I bother at all?

Nilufer Ozmekik It’s really different from regular Bardugo books and I pushed myself really hard to finish. That was not for me Javelyn but there are also many good and encouraging reviews. As I always believe that reading is subjective and maybe you may like it. 😊

message 3: by TMR (new) - rated it 2 stars

TMR Okay, I’ll give it a shot. Thanks.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen 🤣🤣 this is great! I love your reviews, Nilufer! Sorry it wasn’t what you hoped for though!

Nilufer Ozmekik Thank you Karen😂😂It would be better review if I liked it but it didn’t work for me😊

message 6: by Aga (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aga Durka Omg. I laughed so hard reading your review, Nilufer 😂😂. I must say this book was high on my TBR list however after reading your review and some other reviews from my Goodreads friends, I am moving it to the bottom of my TBR list. Sorry this book didn’t work for you especially since you’ve been so excited to get your hands on it.

Nilufer Ozmekik Thank you so much dear Aga🤗. I expected so much more because I loved this author’s books so much and blurb was so tempting but you cannot always find the winners! 😬

Mel (Epic Reading) I’m most impressed that you can do a somersault at 40. I’m 36 and am fairly certain I can’t pull one off. Definitely no cartwheels. 😂
Great honest review!

message 9: by Ceecee (new)

Ceecee I think your review is more entertaining than the book! I laughed so much!!! Great review. Ps so glad you are a Lucifer fan. 🥰🤗

Nilufer Ozmekik Thank you my dear friend Ceecee❤️It’s impossible to resist the charm of Tom Ellis. I’m die hard fan of the series and so sorry there is only one season left!😞😞

Nilufer Ozmekik Thank you Mel. I think I owe too much my gym instructors pushed me to the hell to test my flexibility. 😂😂😂I’m glad you have fun. The book bored me so much so as an antidote I wrote something entertaining 🤗🤗

preoccupiedbybooks I'm seeing VERY mixed reviews of this! It's a love or hate kinda thing I think... I might put it on my maybe list for a bit. I hope your next book is better x

Nilufer Ozmekik Thank you book-twin! The writing and characters disturbed me and you’re so right! There are too many lovers of this book made me question if we read the same version🤗😊

Felicia Ha!! Your reviews are so refreshing.

FortressOfBookitude Including that dream sequence with Tom Ellis in the book would've made it much better! I'm halfway through now and feel exactly the same about it. Especially the bit with the first 100 pages. I mean, what was that? The part of the book they didn't have time to edit? Well, I don't wanna get too angry about it... But this waste of potential!
At least your review uses its potential to the fullest :D

message 16: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy I’m impressed that you finished it, Nilufer. I couldn’t do it.

Nilufer Ozmekik Thank you Felicia 🤗🤗

Nilufer Ozmekik That was one of my hardest read Tammy and I pushed myself too hard to find something likable but well... it didn’t work that way😞😞😞

Nilufer Ozmekik Mel (Epic Reading) wrote: "I’m most impressed that you can do a somersault at 40. I’m 36 and am fairly certain I can’t pull one off. Definitely no cartwheels. 😂
Great honest review!"

Thanks to my torturer trainers my flexibility levels are testing every day. Unbelievably I can still do headstand :)))

Nilufer Ozmekik FortressOfBookitude wrote: "Including that dream sequence with Tom Ellis in the book would've made it much better! I'm halfway through now and feel exactly the same about it. Especially the bit with the first 100 pages. I mea..." I know the feeling and I couldn't agree more because when I read the blurb I thought I was about to read the author's one of the best books. But it turned into never ending, torturing story for me. But there are still too many likers, so it seems like "you hate it or love it" kind of book.

message 21: by Yasin (new)

Yasin Ünan Honestly I have no idea about the book or the author of it but it is rare for me to see such long and fun review in english from a Turk (I'm assuming you're Turk because it's a Turkish name) so I decided to read it even though mostly I feel lazy to read long reviews (both English and Turkish) and I think you made me smile, So thank you stanger!

Nilufer Ozmekik Thank you so much Yasin😂🤗

message 23: by Susan's Reviews (new)

Susan's Reviews I'm going to take your word for it and give this highly rated novel a "pass".

message 24: by Renégade ♥ (last edited Oct 19, 2019 09:22PM) (new) - added it

Renégade ♥ So after finishing this book, I went my culinary class and all of the students clapped me because I cooked an amazing soufflé, macaroons and paella in only 20 minutes.

*LMBO!*

Talk about a lucky horseshoe...

Image result for lucky horseshoe gif

😉😂

Enjoyed your review, Nilufer!

Nilufer Ozmekik What a fantastic horse this is! I loved it so much Renegade 💃🏿💃🏿😂💃🏿❤️💜🥰

message 26: by Antonella (new) - added it

Antonella I will give this review 5 out of 5 stars. It has everything I enjoy in reading review. It has soul, it has wit and most of all it has humor. I love it. ;) great & amazing review...

"but reading shouldn’t be a torture or obligation. You read it because you love the books and you love how they make you feel. But this book didn’t make me relaxed, happy, entertained, excited, it just suffocated me."
very important to point out...

xo

Nilufer Ozmekik That’s so amazingly sweet of you and thank you so much Antonella💜❤️

message 28: by shre ♡ (new) - added it

shre ♡ you know something's up when the review is more interesting to read than the actual book

Nilufer Ozmekik Thank you dear Shre, I’m glad you enjoyed the review🤗🤗

message 30: by あきこ (new) - added it

あきこ Lol! Nilufer, I couldn't get into this one, either : ( And I love dark reads as well. We all have our preferences : )

Nilufer Ozmekik So true Akiko. I did my best to like it but this book is not for me😞😞😞

message 32: by Lucia (new)

Lucia LOL, love your review! I'm sorry you were disappointed but you are not the only one. I have read many reviews stating something similar so I lost my interest in this book

message 33: by Rukky (new) - added it

Rukky Lol, great review Nilufer!! And I'm sorry that this was disappointing, and I really hope I'm not disappointed too when I read it. But your review was hilarious and I really loved reading it ❤ I hope your next read is much better!

Nilufer Ozmekik Thanks Rukky, I hope you don’t disappoint like me! This is typical love-hate book. I hope you’re going to be on side of lovers🤗😊

message 35: by Mark (new)

Mark You made the coffee squirt out of my nose, hilarious review. Thank you for a much needed laugh today 😇

Nilufer Ozmekik Thank you Mark😂😂

message 37: by Aydan (new) - added it

Aydan Yalçın Lmao! At first I really thought wtf, her husband bought her a vineyard??? 😂😂😂 Great review, as always. Thank you!

Nilufer Ozmekik Ha ha ha Aydan, I know it’s tooo good to be true😂😂😂Thank you so much dear🤗🤗

message 39: by Sabreena (new) - added it

Sabreena - Books and Prosecco "Then I got a phone call from my husband suggested me to move to France and as a surprise he bought me a vineyard so we can raise our own grapes and produce our own wines!" This is the BEST line! :D

Nilufer Ozmekik Trust me I loved this line,too. And if it miraculously happens, I’ll personally invite you our vineyard for tasting Sabreena 🤗🤗

message 41: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne I’m ROTFL. Your review is, probably, a better read than the book. I loved it. You’re adorable ....( the Cabernet Sauvignon May have made me say that).

Nilufer Ozmekik Cheers to that Adrianne🍷🤗

message 43: by Carla (new)

Carla lol, love this review!

message 44: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Nilufer wrote: "Cheers to that Adrianne🍷🤗"
You go girl!,,,,I sorta kinda wish we could clink vino glasses together.

Nilufer Ozmekik I wish that, too, my friend🥂🥰

Nilufer Ozmekik Thank you Carla🤗🤗

Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔ One hour? Are you a robot!? How is this possible 😱

Nilufer Ozmekik I think you skipped some parts of my review Cindy, it was a dream sequence 😂😂🤗🤗

message 49: by Shifad (new) - added it

Shifad Geez! I had high expectations for this book!!

Nilufer Ozmekik That makes two of us Shifad😞😞