Karen's Reviews > A Key to Treehouse Living

A Key to Treehouse Living by Elliot Reed

190448

liked it

Most people who review this book start with its unusual style. The book is written with alphabetic titles as if you're reading an encyclopedia. I'd read this style before in The Lover's Dictionary which at the time had delighted and surprised me. Maybe because of that, in this case I felt like it was mostly a gimmick.

I've read a lot of books so the gimmicks don't do it for me anymore. I much prefer novels that have deep, rich characters and solid writing. To be fair to the author, this book is written well and even though all the other characters are ephemeral and not developed much at all, the main character here is layered and complicated.

I also liked the writing. I highlighted this little sentence that made me smile: "An old man with the need to ruminate will pop like a champagne bottle when you ask him a question and stories will come out like the foam." I like how it was both so visual and so relatable.

Had the author trusted his ability to write strongly and develop rich characters, and made this book less gimmicky I probably would have rated this higher. Still really enjoyed it and look forward to seeing what he comes up with next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Key to Treehouse Living.

January 6, 2019 – Started Reading