Hamad's Reviews > City of Glass

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

bookshelves: 2019-reads, paperbacks

This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

Actual Rating: 3.75 stars

“People aren’t born good or bad. Maybe they’re born with tendencies either way, but it’s the way you live your life that matters.”

🌟 I finished my first CC trilogy, I am proud of myself and I am not disappointed. If she keeps getting better then I am pretty sure she will have a spot among my fav authors soon.

🌟 There is something strange about Cassie’s writing, it is not so poetic and flowery and unique. But it is realistic, sarcastic and addicting in an unusual way!

🌟 Don’t judge me but I stan most of the characters in this series, I am writing this review long after I have finished the book and by this point for most books I would have forgotten most of the characters. I am not the biggest fan of Jace and Clary but Isabelle, Simon, Alec, Magnus and others are just my babies that I want to protect forever! I do not deny the fact that they are precocious but that’s just YA in general! I also live for their sass and constant roasting for each other. I have said this in other reviews and I will say it again, teenagers do not say deep and wise things, we do bullshit, we learn and we improve! I think Cassie’s characters are so fleshed out and that’s the major reason she is this successful!
I hate it when the characters are so perfect and smart and out of this world!!

“You said you were going for a walk!? What kind of walk takes six hours?”
“A long one?”

🌟 This book expanded the Shadowhunters world even more and judging from the books I have left in this world. I think we still have a lot to learn :O

🌟 The pacing is good, it may be slow at some points but the addicting factor I mentioned before makes it easy to go through these large books without feeling so. I felt that the end is a little bit rushed and that I may have wanted more because the build up for it took so much time!

🌟 The plot twists were kind of predictable for me! I have two reactions for this: I either predict the twists easily because they are clichéd and full of tropes and I roll my eyes when my predictions are right. The second choice is certainly better, I predict the best outcome and consider many outcomes and I am like “What if she did this and that… that would be great!!”. Cassie did this and that and fell into the second category for me which was cool!

🌟 Summary: Overall, I had lower expectations for this trilogy because I kept hearing mixed reviews about it but I am happy that it ended up being a good experience for me. I certainly can’t wait to read other trilogies by this author!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Glass.

January 6, 2019 – Shelved
February 8, 2019 – Started Reading
February 13, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)

message 1: by Insh (new)

Insh how is it going so far?!?
lots of recommendations for cassandra clare, but i feel reluctant....

Hamad Inshirah wrote: "how is it going so far?!?
lots of recommendations for cassandra clare, but i feel reluctant...."

I think it is OK but I am happy that everyone says that her later books are much better and so I am excited for them!

And I guess you will never know until you try :D

message 3: by Insh (new)

Insh Hamad wrote: "Inshirah wrote: "how is it going so far?!?
lots of recommendations for cassandra clare, but i feel reluctant...."

Lol
To my ever growing pile of TBR it goes
😂😂😂

message 4: by Insh (new)

Insh Also, are the books better than the tv series ...
Because the tv series was bleh to me, hence the reluctance ....

Hamad Inshirah wrote: "Also, are the books better than the tv series ...
Because the tv series was bleh to me, hence the reluctance ...."

I didn't watch the movies nor the series but I have heard that they are meh and that the books are better. Specially The Infernal Devices trilogy.
Enjoy :D

message 6: by Insh (new)

Insh DONT EVER, i repeat, DONT EVER WATCH THE TV SERIES
It was soo bad !!!

Kadi P Have to agree Inshirah! I actually really liked the movie. It wasn't completely accurate to the book but it wasn't a bad adaptation. Gosh Katherine McNamara (she plays Clary in the show) is pretty but she CAN'T ACT!! It just makes the show feel so cheap when the main character is obviously not good enough

message 8: by Insh (new)

Insh Kadi wrote: "Have to agree Inshirah! I actually really liked the movie. It wasn't completely accurate to the book but it wasn't a bad adaptation. Gosh Katherine McNamara (she plays Clary in the show) is pretty ..."

Yasss kadi!!! Her acting was the worst and i couldnt even concentrate on anything (including how hot mathew daddario was ) after seeing her!!!

So many people kept recommending this book but i remebered her acting and *cringe* ...
I might just be over reacting but hopefully get over it and give the book a chance !

Kadi P I think the book is pretty good. I read it before I watched the movie and tried the tv show. It can be a bit cliche. It was my first proper stab at YA and I read it a couple of years back so my memory of it might not be so accurate.

I think the only downside is how long it is. You have to really invest yourself in the series. And then the prequel series. And the sequel series. And the sequel to the sequel series. And the sequel to the prequel series. I think after the full Mortal Instruments series you kind of get a bit tired of it all. It’s too much shadowhunter and it just becomes tired and old (completely my own opinion).

IMO I would love it if Cassandra Clare wrote something that’s not in any way related to her TMI world because she is a good writer and I did very much enjoy her books.

message 10: by Insh (new)

Insh Kadi wrote: "I think the book is pretty good. I read it before I watched the movie and tried the tv show. It can be a bit cliche. It was my first proper stab at YA and I read it a couple of years back so my mem..."

Kaaaaaddiiiii, you are scaring me !!!
Am i ready for the commitment?! Can i even commit?!

Questioning my entire life rn
Brb😂😂😂

Hamad Inshirah wrote: "Kadi wrote: "I think the book is pretty good. I read it before I watched the movie and tried the tv show. It can be a bit cliche. It was my first proper stab at YA and I read it a couple of years b..."

hahahah your conversation though!
I am starting to doubt myself now.

message 12: by Kadi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kadi P HAHAH guys it’s not that bad I might be an over exaggerator a little bit.
You can read all of TMI and finish there. I mean there are already a ton of books in the main series. All the other series are optional reads obvs. Personally I think the sequel series is probs more important to read than the prequel series but to appreciate how all the characters connect you gotta read them all. It’s clever really. It ensures that you buy all the books to read them all.
Kinda like how for Rick Riordan’s books you can read Heroes of Olympus series without reading Percy Jackson series but you won’t fully appreciate the HoO series and understand all the PJ characters backgrounds. Does that make sense?

message 13: by Kadi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kadi P Oh gosh did I scare you guys😂🤦🏻‍♀️ sorry that’s bad of me😞 I should encourage reading!

Hamad Kadi wrote: "Oh gosh did I scare you guys😂🤦🏻‍♀️ sorry that’s bad of me😞 I should encourage reading!"

Oh it makes perfect sense!
And don't worry we're kidding too...
I can always take breaks from the shadowhunters world when I am bored with it

Salma *coughs* BEST WRITER EVER

message 16: by Insh (new)

Insh Kaaaddiiii, i love your energy girl!!!
Your explanations are so passionate that even if i didnt want to read the book before, now i might actually give it a try!!!
I think you are my new favourite person! ♥♥♥

message 17: by Insh (new)

Insh Also like hamad said if we'd most likely try it and if we disnt like it we'd just like discreetly set it aside...

We might sue you for false marketing, but not for like huge compensations, maybe for another book...

But yah, no need to worry
😂😂😂

Hamad The comments on this review are gold :')

message 19: by Kadi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kadi P Hamad wrote: "Kadi wrote: "Oh gosh did I scare you guys😂🤦🏻‍♀️ sorry that’s bad of me😞 I should encourage reading!"

Oh it makes perfect sense!
And don't worry we're kidding too...
I can always take breaks from t..."

That is so true. I didn't do that when I read it. I read them all at once and by the end I'd had enough😂😂

message 20: by Kadi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kadi P Inshirah wrote: "Kaaaddiiii, i love your energy girl!!!
I think you are my new favourite ..."

THANK YOU. You're so sweet!❤️ I am very enthusiastic about books lol I get super excited and then can't stop talking😂

message 21: by Kadi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kadi P Inshirah wrote: "Also like hamad said if we'd most likely try it and if we disnt like it we'd just like discreetly set it aside...

That's the kind of suing I'm ok with tbh. You can come forward and sue me on those terms anytime you like. I'd be happy to comply with book recommendations!

message 22: by Kadi (last edited Jan 07, 2019 09:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kadi P Hamad wrote: "The comments on this review are gold :')"

Wait till you finish the next book, Hamad... 😏😏

(that sounds very creepy ha!)

message 23: by Insh (new)

Insh Kadi wrote: "Hamad wrote: "The comments on this review are gold :')"

Wait till you finish the next book, Hamad... 😏😏

(that sounds very creepy ha!)"

@hamad i think @khadi is actually threatening you to read the book 😂😂😂
I think i managed to escape being threatened by her by calling her my fave person !!! Yay me !!

message 24: by Kadi (last edited Jan 07, 2019 10:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kadi P Inshirah wrote: "Kadi wrote:

@hamad i think @khadi is actually threatening ..."

Haha Inshirah you've hit the nail on the head here😏. No jk I just assumed Hamad was going to read the next book. It's chill if he's not but if he is I'll meet you there for a nice convo @Hamad and @Inshirah? Hahaha this has been great guys!

Hamad Kadi wrote: "Inshirah wrote: "Kadi wrote:

@hamad i think @khadi is actually threatening ..."

heheheh you guys rock and I am going to continue the series, one book for each month :D

message 26: by Kadi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kadi P Hamad wrote: "Kadi wrote: "Inshirah wrote: "Kadi wrote:

@hamad i think @khadi is actually threatening ..."

Haha Inshirah you've hit the nail on the head here😏. No jk I just ass..."

Wow I can't wait now. We have to genuinely make this a thing😂 It's been really fun talking to you guys👏

message 27: by Insh (new)

Insh okay, i'll try the book after hamad tries it and gives me the go sign....
then we can have great convos about how amazing the all characters except clary is!!

hamad, no pressure but you reviews should be spot on, okay?

message 28: by Insh (new)

Insh also

message 29: by Kadi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kadi P Inshirah wrote: "also
@khadi you are my new best friend !!!

so obviously we are going to continue having discussions on maybe other books, (if this does not work out) or on anything really...."

You are so nice I want to EAT you. (That's a compliment, albeit a really weird one) It's morning where I am and I'm tired no judging.
And yeeeessss we should defo keep having discussions!!

message 30: by Insh (new)

Insh Kadi wrote: "Inshirah wrote: "also

..."

Firstly weird compliments are the bestest ever!!!
♥♥♥
And id totally EAT you too !!!
And i think hamad is totally disgusted by us so imma continue this on your profile....

Hamad Inshirah wrote: "Kadi wrote: "Inshirah wrote: "also

No I love discussions!
Feel free to comment as much as you want!
This is hilarious and I am so in!

message 32: by Insh (new)

Insh Okay fine @hamad we'll continue the discussion here...
Dont blame us if it gets weird or goes out of control, tho...
You were warned!! 😂😂😂

message 33: by Insh (new)

Insh Khaaddiiiii,
Hows my bestiiii doing?!!???

message 34: by Insh (new)

Insh Also sending virtual love because you deserve it
!!!

message 35: by Kadi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kadi P Inshirah wrote: "Khaaddiiiii,
Hows my bestiiii doing?!!???
I really look forward to learning all the nooks and crannies of the GR app with you!!"

I just scrolled all the way to the top of the page and wow we have talked a lot! Also @hamad I respect you for using the shrug emoji. I LOVE THAT EMOJI hahahah

And Inshi I just read what you wrote on my profile and I figured you probs wouldn't get a notification for it. I wasn't sure because I'd never used the future. I'm pretty much fine today. I actually got 7 hours of sleep yesterday which is basically a record and I had to force myself not to read something before I went to sleep which was REALLY HARD because it's part of my night time routine to read something before I sleep.
How's your day going tho guys?

message 36: by Kadi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kadi P Hamad wrote: "Inshirah wrote: "Kadi wrote: "Inshirah wrote: "also
@khadi you are my new best friend !!!

I'm so glad you like discussions hamad! I've been on GR for two years now and I've always felt like people don't want to really talk especially to someone they have never seen around before or aren't friends with so they don't respond to comments.
I mean the only way I ever made friends was by joining competitions like Perks UNO challenge but even then once the challenge was over in April I rarely talked to those people again.

Also, can I just say, your profile picture is BEAUTIFUL!!
I've never read six of crows is it good?

message 37: by Insh (new)

Insh @khadi, seven hours of sleep sounds like paradise to me right now... Im running on 4 hours of sleep and lots of coffee!!!

And reading before bed for me is like a religious ritual :)
Id honestly go into depression if i didnt read before bed.

YOU MUST BE SO IN CONTROL OF YOUR SELF TO ACTUALLY NOT READ!!
Im so proud of you and also lowkey jealous 😂😂😂

message 38: by Insh (new)

Insh Khadi also true, i found it very weird that people were best friends on this site, i always thought they must have been friends irl...
But then i met you and :)

message 39: by Insh (new)

Insh Also if we are going to read cassandra clare , then you MUST, MUST ,MUST read six of crows!!!

Hamad Six of Crows is LIFE!!!
I recommend for all fantasy readers!

message 41: by Kadi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kadi P Inshirah wrote: "@khadi, seven hours of sleep sounds like paradise to me right now... Im running on 4 hours of sleep and lots of coffee!!!

And reading before bed for me is like a religious ritual :)
Id honestly ..."

YOU NEED TO SLEEP MORE INSH!
And I feel you! It was really hard to sleep without reading even one issue of a comic I had to force myself because I've been getting little sleep lately and it affects my whole day. I'm sleepy all day and I can hardly work at school and it makes me grumpy with people too so I'm trying to sleep more.

It didn't really make a difference tho. By 12 I was sleepy and I made up for not reading a book last night by spending an entire hour and a half reading a volume of a comic (like 150 pages!) and have done no revising for my computer science test tomorrow so I'm doomed. And the comic wasn't even that great! I gave it 3 stars. Major facepalm for my bad life choices.

message 42: by Kadi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kadi P Inshirah wrote: "Khadi also true, i found it very weird that people were best friends on this site, i always thought they must have been friends irl...
But then i met you and :)"

I honestly thought the same thing. And yeah I met you and Hamad on this great review and I suddenly got it. Plus I just made friends with this great guy called Jayson who reads comics and writes awesome reviews so I made 3 friends on one day. And they say people who read are anti social ha!

message 43: by Kadi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kadi P Inshirah wrote: "Also if we are going to read cassandra clare , then you MUST, MUST ,MUST read six of crows!!!"

Have you read it? *raises eyebrows questioningly*

message 44: by Kadi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kadi P Hamad wrote: "Six of Crows is LIFE!!!
I recommend for all fantasy readers!"

I just checked and it turns out I added this to my tbr shelf in 2017! Wow. Everyone says its amazing but I don't want to be let down! I don't always find books everyone else raves about to be all that tbh and I'm very cautious about the fantasy genre nowadays. I either love it or it's too much fantasy if there ever could be such a thing.
But there's only 2 books in the series? That sounds great. It's intimidating to find out there's like 5 books in the series and more coming out. Makes me feel like I'll never catch up so this is beginning to look promising

message 45: by Kadi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kadi P Hold on guys. So I just looked it up and the Shadow and Bone series is related to the Six of Crows book? So shouldn't I read Shadow and Bones trilogy first?

Hamad Kadi wrote: "Hold on guys. So I just looked it up and the Shadow and Bone series is related to the Six of Crows book? So shouldn't I read Shadow and Bones trilogy first?"

It is in the same universe but can be read alone!
You know you will be more oriented and it will be better if you read the first trilogy which was controversial and many don't like it...

If you can read them all then do it
If you prefer standalones and duologies then go directly for Six of Crows

message 47: by Aaminah Ackerman (new)

Aaminah Ackerman hamad did you like six of crows?

message 48: by Insh (new)

Insh Kadi wrote: "Inshirah wrote: "Also if we are going to read cassandra clare , then you MUST, MUST ,MUST read six of crows!!!"

Have you read it? *raises eyebrows questioningly*"

wait did she ask this question?
*scrolls up, rereads comment*
okay she did

khadi, im wondering where i went wrong, does my goodreads profile not express how much i love Six of crows?!?

six of crows is my reason for existing and its also my soul mate and my relationship status , we might get married but the laws regarding marrying books is a little unclear rn and so we'll just have to wait and see....

message 49: by Insh (new)

Insh Kadi wrote: "Hamad wrote: "Six of Crows is LIFE!!!
I recommend for all fantasy readers!"

yah, i know, also another reason i put off CC, all her books are related, so like a gazillion books and too much hype ......
hopefully i will not be disappointed,

@Hamad, still waiting for your review to start CC, so pressure ?

message 50: by Insh (new)

Insh also my comments are a rambling mess and weird af...
but khadi, you questioned my love for six of crows and this is the result.
also its late here and im trying to find the motivation to finish work stuff, that i keep procrastinating....

« previous 1 3