Bruce's Reviews > The God of the Machine

The God of the Machine by Isabel Paterson

Jan 22, 2012

Read from January 29 to May 02, 2012

Isabel Patterson argues most persuasively for political freedom as the absolutely required groundwork for laissez faire capitalism, the economic basis for the the high civilization we now enjoy in America. A great virtue of her work is how well she supports her thesis with rigorous explanations of how the absence of economic planning and coercion makes possible the incredibly efficient and productive action of Adam Smith's "invisible hand," in comparison to which all welfare schemes pale.

She compares the political and economic structure of a society to a machine with a complicated, long-range energy circuit, the motive power for which is human creativity and ambition. Though generally illuminating, this analogy is at times confusing. Patterson herself thought the book too condensed, and I certainly found it packed tight with ideas and information that I will need to unpack and corroborate with further thought and reading. It is a valuable stepping stone to realizing an adequate defense of our magnificent republic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God of the Machine.

01/09 marked as: read