Don Goodrum's Reviews > Junkyard Druid

Junkyard Druid by M.D. Massey

87201681

I don't remember the exact circumstances surrounding my purchase of this book a year ago, but I know why it took me so long to read it. The name. I thought Colin McCool was a stupid name for anyone, but for an urban fantasy hero especially. I had no idea that the character had his origins in YA, but I definitely thought the name was childish and silly. But recently, while bemoaning the fact that I wished someone was doing something with the Irish pantheon now that Kevin Hearne had hung up his spurs on The Iron Druid series, someone mentioned that The Junkyard Druid series covered some of the same ground, and that was enough to get me to give it a try. I still hate the name "McCool," but the series is actually quite a lot of fun.

You see, Colin's not a druid, but he's so close to being one in temperment and power set that the only one who makes the distinction is himself. He was raised to be a supernatural hunter, but since losing his partner and true love, Jessie, he gave it all up. The problem is, Colin was cursed by an old witch and whenever his life is threatened he transforms Hulk-like into an unkillable monster that can't be controlled. The same monster that killed Jesse. Trusted by no one and marked for death by most of the supernatural community, Colin is hiding away from the world, surrounded by the cold iron of the junkyard he lives in, protecting himself from both the world above and the world below.

Of course, this doesn't last and while Colin doesn't even really fight his re-emergence into battle against darkness all that much, Massey still manages to orchestrate things in a way that feels organic and natural. Colin battles various Irish dieties and madmen, plays footsie with Maeve, the Fae Ruler of Austin, hangs out with the werewolves and Red Caps and the vampires and tries to stay out of the way of the Cold Iron Circle, Austin's version of the supernatural police. And Belladonna? Don't get me started on Belladonna Becerra. Colin's heart may still belong to Jessie, but Bells is very interested in some of his other body parts and she's not shy about making her wants known.

All in all, this is a good book, starting a good series and if you can get around the doofiness of the name McCool for the main character, it's well worth a read. Enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Junkyard Druid.

January 5, 2019 – Started Reading