Roxane's Reviews > Severance

Severance by Ling  Ma

Well written post-apocalyptic story that goes back and forth between a woman in the world after an epidemic wipes out most of humanity and everything in her life leading up to it. Very compelling, nuanced protagonist. Maddening ending that could be stronger.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Severance.

Started Reading
January 5, 2019 – Shelved
January 5, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Allyson agree about the ending

Allison Second the comment re ending.

Aileen Third the comment! But I loved it regardless.

Remy Kothe Agree! I really needed more.

Michelle Same! I just finished and I feel unfulfilled but loved it!

Becky Gormley Could also be considered alternate history since it took place in the past: tianamen Square, President Obama, etc.

renee I totally agree with Roxanne. I'm thinking it's a good set up for a sequel.

Dayna Cramer Really disliked the ending. Thought the story was going... somewhere. She had me riveted to that point.

Krissy's Book Addiction SPOILER***

Regarding the ending totally agreed at first then after thinking about it I realized that #1 she had been struck by nostalgia as she remembered her childhood in relation to Chicago. Memories she had forgotten. #2 “she started walking” which is the routine thing she did for a long time in NYC. I think this means she was fevered. As the girl in her childhood house had and Bob in the mall. The fever hit them when they went back to a place of their childhood.

Elise Ooh, good point!

message 11: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg I never thought about that with the ending! She totally could have been fevered! Wow...

Jennifer Fosket Brilliant point about the ending Krissy! I like it so much better now.

Sarah Teremy Wow that makes much more sense is she was fevered at the end!

Chris Cohen How much of this story was “real” and how much was her looking fevered into a snow globe of New York City?