Kimberley's Reviews > The Ten Commandments: What They Mean, Why They Matter, and Why We Should Obey Them

The Ten Commandments by Kevin DeYoung

This is not the typical book I would pick up to review, but that’s precisely the reason why I did. I read “The Hole in our Holiness” by Mr. DeYoung and was deeply challenged by his insight. This book is no different.
I think we can become slightly jaded, whether we mean to be or not, by passages that can become overly familiar. Or, as the book points out, we can also lose understanding when certain passages are no longer passed down from one generation to the next, which seems to be more of the norm lately.

Approaching each commandment from the surface meaning and then digging deeper in to the nuances that affect us inwardly, the author handled both the words and the heart of the reader with insight and care.
I highly recommend The 10 Commandments and encourage you to read through it slowly.

"We too often think of the Ten Commandments as constraining us – as if God’s ways will keep us in servitude and from realizing our dreams and reaching our potential.
We forget that God means to give us abundant life (John 10:10) and true freedom (John 8:32). His laws, 1 John 5:3 tells us, are not burdensome."
The 10 Commandments, pg. 23

(I received a copy of this book from Crossway to review. All opinions are my own.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ten Commandments.

December 26, 2018 – Started Reading