Lola's Reviews > Lonely Shore

Lonely Shore by Jenn Burke

bookshelves: books-that-i-own, e-books-on-kobo

After I finished Chaos Station I started with Lonely Shore right after. Lonely Shore starts of a bit after book 1 and mostly deals with the results of Zander's health troubles with the poison that changed him into an ex soldier. This book was sad, but also beautiful and filled with hope. And even tough it was sad in a lot of places, I still enjoyed reading this book.

I really liked the writing styles of these two authors and now having read books by both authors alone I can also say I like their styles separately. The writing fits the story and I liked how they didn't shy away of showing exactly how much was wrong with Zed. It was sad to see him slowly decline and lose pieces and memories, until he almost didn't feel like the same person anymore. It was sad, but also a necessary part of their story.

For a long time I wasn't sure how they would survive this, what the way out would be. And I am still not fully happy with what happened as I always feel those type of plot lines/ twists feel a bit off somehow. But all in all I did like how it was handled. It did make sense sort of and also why it had to happen this way. I am not sure I fully understand what this will mean for the characters, I am sure we'll find out in future books.

What Zander and Felix go through in this book is heartbreaking and while it was horrible to see what Zander went through, I almost felt even worse for Felix, who is seeing his lover decline like that. I do think it shows again how much they care about each other and with all the hardships they go through, the ending of this book ends on a positive note.

This book is great in terms of world building and how we see the world get expanded a bit more in this book. Now with the initial set-up done in book 1 we get to see more of the other alien races. I liked learning more about the Ashucks and how the authors did a good job making them seem alien, but you could still care for them as well. I also really liked Qek in this book.

To summarize: this book was pretty sad, but also I think an important part of this series. And it's also hopefully and the book ends on a high note. It was sad to see both Zander and Felix got through this, Zander is struggling with his health due to the poison and Felix sees his lover slowly disappear. For a long time I had no idea how they would make it through this. And while the book was sad I still enjoyed it as it's so well written and while sad it also shows the depth of feelings between these two. I also liked seeing the world get expanded on a bit more, we learn more about especially the Ashuk's in this book and I also really liked Qek in this book. While difficult to read at times, it was well written and I liked seeing where everyone is at the end of the book and am looking forward to reading book 3.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lonely Shore.

January 5, 2019 – Shelved