Ashley Houser's Reviews > Children of Blood and Bone

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

bookshelves: listened-to-audiobook

Children of Blood and Bone has been on my list for a while. Tomi Adeyemi won the award for Goodreads Choice Debut Author this year for her work on this book, so I've been very excited to get my hands on it.

Children of Blood and Bone is very much a young adult fantasy. I would place it in the same genre as The Hunger Games, Divergent, and any other young adult series with heavy fantasy elements. It is the story of a young girl named Zélie, the daughter of a magi. Magi once populated the land, harnessing various magical powers. But, the magi were murdered by a ruthless king, thirsty for power and desperate for magic to disappear. Zélie has one chance to bring magic back, but her journey will be filled with obstacles and barriers.

--------------------------------------

From the publisher:

They killed my mother.
They took our magic.
They tried to bury us.

Now we rise.

--------------------------------------

I really loved the creativity and thought that Tomi Adeyemi poured into this novel. It was so unique and different, with some extremely creative elements. The concept of the book was superb and I loved the fact that it was kept as a young adult book with a "coming of age" theme.

From an audiobook perspective, the narrator's accent lended an element of believability and authenticity. I really enjoyed her portrayal of the various characters. I did feel at times that the voices of each character weren't very distinct and there were a couple of times that I had to reorient myself to which character was talking. And as the book has a lot of action and excitement, the narration is at times loud and intense. Let's just say it's not a book you would want to listen to if you had a headache.

I was extremely surprised to find out that this book was written in response to incidences of police brutality and the author's feeling of helplessness. While I didn't feel like there were overt references to that accord, looking back I can see the connection and applicability.

I will definitely be checking out the second in this series when it comes out. It's worth the read if you haven't checked it out already.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of Blood and Bone.

January 5, 2019 – Started Reading