Shelby's Reviews > Life and Other Inconveniences

Life and Other Inconveniences by Kristan Higgins

bookshelves: womens-fiction

Emma hasn’t had the easiest of lives. After her mother committed suicide when she was 8-years old, Emma’s dad dropped her off at her grandmother, Genevieve’s house and never returned for her. Emma’s relationship with her grandmother was never warm or nurturing by any means, but at least she was there for Emma when she needed a motherly figure. But when Emma falls pregnant shortly after high school, Genevieve gives her an ultimatum, resulting in Emma leaving. It’s been over 16-years since Emma’s seen her grandmother and her and her daughter, Riley, live in Illinois. She gets a call from Genevieve out of the blue, because she is dying of brain cancer and wants Emma and Riley to stay with her in Connecticut for the summer. At first Emma is hesitant, but ultimately decides a change for a few months could do Emma and Riley some good.

Over the next few months, Genevieve is able to form a relationship with a great-granddaughter she never knew and work to repair the relationship with Emma that she sabotaged. Genevieve gets to see firsthand what type of mother Emma became and just how much Riley was, in fact, not a mistake, even if Genevieve made her out to be one prematurely.

For the first time in over 16-years, Emma is getting some time to herself—some time to explore what truly makes Emma happy outside of motherhood. She meets one of her grandmother’s friends—Miller—whose wife died 3-years earlier during childbirth and left him a single father to a challenging daughter, Tess. Miller and Emma have much in common in regard to single parenthood and grief—a friendship is formed and surprisingly, maybe a romance too.

Told through the perspectives of Genevieve, Emma and Riley, we get to see how four generations of women for one summer, sparks more growth, forgiveness and love than 16-years spent apart. And although families have their inevitable problems, nothing is better than the strong bond between women.

Life and Other Inconveniences is Kristan Higgins’ latest contemporary women’s fiction release. Yet again, Kristan Higgins writes about the relationships between women and writes them in such a real and relatable way. Her story gives us a short, slice-of-life insight into the London family and in that short time, we get to see such growth and change, all for the better. By the end, I felt like I truly knew Riley, Emma and Genevieve. I think Emma has to be my favorite of the three—she’s patient, beyond giving, and has the greatest capacity for love. Kristan Higgins’ stories are always impactful and stick with me for months after reading them—and Life and Other Inconveniences is no exception—4/5 stars.

Thank you to First to Read, Berkeley Books and Kristan Higgins for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life and Other Inconveniences.

January 4, 2019 – Shelved
page 226
April 15, 2019 –
page 343
April 15, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia Strydom Warm and wonderful review. I can't wait to read this, Kristan Higgins is a fantastic writer.

message 2: by Melissa (last edited Jul 22, 2019 11:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melissa Fantastic review, Shelby! I agree, KH's books are always impactful. I already can't wait to see what she comes up with next.