Karith Amel's Reviews > Searching for Sunday: Loving, Leaving, and Finding the Church

Searching for Sunday by Rachel Held Evans

bookshelves: audio, faith, nonfiction

"We don’t want to choose between science and religion or between our intellectual integrity and our faith. Instead, we long for our churches to be safe places to doubt, to ask questions, and to tell the truth, even when it’s uncomfortable. We want to talk about the tough stuff—biblical interpretation, religious pluralism, sexuality, racial reconciliation, and social justice—but without predetermined conclusions or simplistic answers. We want to bring our whole selves through the church doors, without leaving our hearts and minds behind, without wearing a mask.”

This is a book I wish I had written.

In these pages, Rachel Held Evans puts into words some of my truest longings, deepest despairs, greatest hopes, and most enduring questions about church, theology, and Christ. Why I'm frustrated (heartbroken? angry?) and why I choose to remain even so.

From the introduction, I knew I was going to love it. Knew that Rachel Held Evans had gotten it so right. I would love to give this book to everyone I know in an attempt to explain where I - and so many of the people I know (esp. my generation and younger) - are coming from. Why I believe we (the evangelical community) are drawing the lines in all the wrong places (and, in so doing, are mis-representing the very heart of what we claim to believe).

This book is ultimately gentle, and hopeful, and filled with a bedrock faith in the God who brings the dead to life, and calls things that are not as though they are.

"It’s just death and resurrection, over and over again, day after day, as God reaches down into our deepest graves and with the same power that raised Jesus from the dead wrests us from our pride, our apathy, our fear, our prejudice, our anger, our hurt, and our despair. Most days I don’t know which is harder for me to believe: that God reanimated the brain functions of a man three days dead, or that God can bring back to life all the beautiful things we have killed. Both seem pretty unlikely to me.”

A book that re-instills hope for all the Church is called to be, while elucidating the pitfalls of so much of what we choose to be instead. Prophetic, powerful, truth-speaking.

I want to read it again (and this time in a format where I can underline - and revisit - favorite passages).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Searching for Sunday.

January 2, 2019 – Started Reading