Judie's Reviews > Queen Unseen: My Life with the Greatest Rock Band of the 20th Century

Queen Unseen by Peter Hince

1978390

bookshelves: 2019
Read 2 times. Last read January 2, 2019 to January 4, 2019.

I loved this book. Let me say right from the beginning that this book doesn’t promise to be a biography of Freddie Mercury... so if that’s what you’re looking for, you should look elsewhere. This was a fun and very informative retelling of the adventures of being a roadie on tour with Queen. I have to say that at times I felt like I was on tour with them! Mr. Hince has a great sense of humor, and I found myself laughing heartily at some of his stories. Yes, they were crude.... he was young man in his 20’s during the 1970’s! He did give some anecdotes of Freddie’s tantrums that made me feel bad... especially the one about Freddie hitting him with his mic “ wand” in a fit of rage. I hated to think Freddie could do such a thing, but I do believe it. I’ve read in several other sources about Freddie’s legendary temper, fits of rage, and tantrums. I love Freddie and think the world of him, but I think our collective desire to turn him into a saint, or a god onstage and a frightened little boy offstage is completely missing the mark. He was human, with faults, and he was a grown man who very often insisted on getting his own way.

If I had one complaint about this book, it’s that it’s not in any kind of chronological order. It’s still fun, but I would have preferred following along in order, as others have already said. Other than that, a quick and fun romp on tour with Queen! Whoo hoo! 🥰
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen Unseen.

Finished Reading