Leah's Reviews > Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes by Caitlin Doughty

Doughty covers what has become a touchy topic in the modern world: death and mortality. More specifically, our fear of both. She mixes her beliefs and philosophy about death with tales of her job at a California mortuary along with historical beliefs and practices from the US, UK and other countries. The first two worked well, the last one felt clunky. Each chapter definitely read like a solo essay -- it didn't read like a cohesive memoir. (For instance, I'm confused as to the relevance of Luke's rejection and her subsequent suicide attempt? The latter was handled in such a flippant manner, which was more offensive than any description of being covered in buckets of human fat.) And a memoir wasn't what I was expecting, so maybe that's part of my response as well. But there are important points to consider and it will certainly make you wonder.

Recommended to people who loved the HBO series, Six Feet Under and/or those who are curious about what goes on behind the scenes in the death industry nowadays and/or those who think death has become too hidden and sanitized.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smoke Gets in Your Eyes.

January 2, 2019 – Started Reading