Shreya's Reviews > Of Poseidon

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Jan 21, 2012

Alright then! Here's my review:

Goodreads Summary:
"Galen, a Syrena prince, searches land for a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. It’s while Emma is on vacation at the beach that she meets Galen. Although their connection is immediate and powerful, Galen's not fully convinced that Emma's the one he's been looking for. That is, until a deadly encounter with a shark proves that Emma and her Gift may be the only thing that can save his kingdom. He needs her help--no matter what the risk."

"Ohmysweetgoodness!"

What an amazing book this was, I tore through it in one single day. This is definitely one of the best debut novels of the year. Banks puts together a book of "vibrant characters, feisty humor, and an irresistible romance" to give us a delightful read that is delectable to the taste buds. I've always been a sucker for mermaids, ocean/Greek mythology, and of course hot mermen, or "Syrena" like the ones in this book like to be called. So when I picked up this book, I instantly knew I would enjoy it, but I didn't know I would fall head-over-heels in love with it. All the characters were so amazing, I loved ever, single one of them, especially Emma. This girl is tough as nails. Absolutely nothing was lacking in the humor, action, or romance category. What Galen and Emma had is a forbidden love that was born in the heavens, and a "pull" they tried to resist, but couldn't. Banks made sure to keep us on our feet as well as on the floor laughing, I couldn't make up my mind whether to do one or the other.

We are introduced to this wonderful story from two points of view. One from Galen's and the other from Emma's. I'm not a big fan of different POV books, but Banks managed to make me enjoy both, which is rare.

Emma didn't seem to know what living to the fullest meant until she bumped, literally, into Galen, AKA, Greek Godliness personified. How embarrassing considered her cheek was splayed on his bare chest for more than a minute. This girl sure knows how to make an entrance. All Emma has done in her life is follow along behind her best friend's, Chloe, footsteps. But when the unthinkable happens at a beach in Florida, and Galen, as well as his spoiled older brat of a sister, are watching her the whole time, she is unknowingly thrown into their unbelievable world. Galen follows Emma, and her newly formed loneliness, back to New Jersey, where he enrolls in her school to get closer to her and in the process, gain her trust. I'm guessing that this Syrena doesn't know the exact definition of 'stalker' yet, but he'll learn, and he's hot, and he has reasonable intentions, so it's A OK. When trying to chasing after her and torpedoing her with questions doesn't work, he decides to take things a bit slower, and starts flirting with her instead, which isn't a very heavy burden for him, judging by his tingles around her. The thing is, he needs Emma. He needs her for his kingdom's safety.

Meanwhile, Emma is completely creeped out by Galen's persuasion, as well as frightened to see him, because of what he reminds her of. Soon though, right after she begins to accept that he isn't a creeper, she ends up developing a full-blown attraction to him. (Not that it wasn't there before. I mean come on!? The guys a friggin god).Which is definitely not OK, considering Galen's plans for her. When Galen explains to her his thoughts on what she truly is, Emma doesn't see him the same way again. In fact, she now thinks of him as a complete lunatic. But when Galen proves it to her, she has no choice but to accept the truth. If Emma wants to know what she truly is, and what she can truly become, she has to spend more time around Galen and his family. And to convince her mother that nothing suspicious is going on, Galen and Emma have to put up an act....an act called...DATING. From there on ladies and gentlemen, you know what that act will become.

To put it shortly, this novel was beautiful and mysterious and emotional. Reading about Emma finding oout what she truly is and where she came from was a blast. I don't think I've ever enjoyed reading about mermaids (arhmm..Syrena) more than I did reading this book. A forbidden romance between a Syrena Prince and a average-teenage girl with special abilities, will surely put you on the edge of your seats. And the end will make you tear apart pillows with frustration, wondering why the next book hasn't magically appeared in your hands yet. A wonderful must-read that delivers only the best of things to a reader's world. I applaud and congratulate you Miss Banks, for such an exquisite debut novel!

Favorite Quotes:

“It's easy to remember, because dating rhymes with mating, and they're almost the same [...] So your mom thinks we're ma-- Uh, dating?”

“Basically, everyone thinks--knows--how sweet I am.
Emma, you threw my sister through hurricane-proof glass.”

He nods. "I know it's not." He shrugs, adjusting me in his arms. "I was hoping you'd let me...help you."

"You want to help me turn into a fish."

"Something like that"

"Why?"

"Why? Why not?"

"Stop answering my questions with questions."

He grins. "It doesn't work, does it?"

"Stop that!" I give his jaw a little slap.

He laughs. "All right."

Galen laughs. "It's not so funny anymore is it, tadpole?" he says, nudging him.

Toraf shakes his head. "She's not staying with you, Emma."

"We'll see about that, tadpole," she returns.

"Galen, do something," Toraf says, not taking his eyes of Emma.

Galen grins. "Such as?"

"I don't know, arrest her or something," Toraf says, crossing his arms.

Emma locks eyes with Galen, stealing his breath. "Yeah, Galen. Come arrest me if you're feeling up to it. But I'm telling you right now, the second you lay a hand on me, I'm busting this glass over your head and using it to split your lip like Toraf's." She picks up her heavy drinking glass and splashes the last drops of orange juice onto the table.

Everyone gasps except Galen---who laughs so hard he almost upturns his chair.

Emma's nostrils flare. "You don't think I'll do it? There's only one way to find out, isn't there, Highness?"

The whole airy house echoes Galen's deep-throated howls. Wiping the tears from his eyes, he elbows Toraf, who's looking at him like he drank too much salt-water. "Do you know those foolish humans at her school voted her the sweetest out of all of them?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------
For more reviews, check out my blog at:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Poseidon.

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» Teehee..XD Looks like he's trying to barf!

Shreya HEY! NO! ;D That face is a face of endearment! It shows that he's trying to contain his excitement ;) Eunhyuk is so fudgin cute ;) Do you know when My Lady by EXO-K comes out? I'm desperate D;

LOL, on topic, YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK!!!!!!! AMAZING MAIDA!!!! SERIOUSLY!!! :D You'll loves it! Have you seen the ratings? You aren't the only one who'll love it <3

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» LMFAO...that guy is freakin jokes!! And no sadly I don't know...they did say it was sometime this year. :( And you're not the only one desperate! I can't wait for that song to come out...I am just dying listening to the teaser so many times! =_=

And I will for sure check it out! Already marked it to read!! :D