Helen's Reviews > A Pinch of Magic

A Pinch of Magic by Michelle Harrison

liked it
bookshelves: arc, adventures, childrens, competent-female-characters, fantasy, magic, reviewed, witches

I got off to a rocky start with this one because I found the writing very clunky and awkward. It put me off reading it so I dipped in and out of it and it just took me ages to get into it. I also couldn't work out if it was set in the modern day or in a 'ye olde' fantasy world. It sounds daft but it really threw me that I couldn't work it out.

I am glad I persevered with it though because the story is actually rather lovely. It's about 3 sisters who find that they are living under a curse - if they leave the island where they grew up they will be dead within a day. Not particularly nice, but they also have a gift of magic objects - normal, everyday items that enable them to move vast distances in the blink of an eye, become invisible and talk to anyone they want whenever they want.

The bond between the sisters and the way they work together whilst bickering and falling out made this book for me. It brings back memories of growing up with my sister and having adventures together even though we didn't always get on.

After about the first half of the book, the story starts to flow better and even the writing improved. It's also quite dark at times and I was pleased that it didn't try to sugar coat the world - I don't think that ever works, even in children's books. We're all of us smarter than to be taken in by that.

So if you're looking for a children's book that is full of adventure and sisters supporting each other you could do much worse than this.

I received a free copy in return for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Pinch of Magic.

January 4, 2019 – Shelved