Jo Ladzinski's Reviews > Gone Girl

32067918

liked it
bookshelves: audiobook, library

Listened to the audiobook

It's not always that an adaptation proves better than the original, but having read Gone Girl shortly after, I enjoyed the movie more. Maybe it was something with the balance of Nick and Amy's neuroticism or the benefit of seeing visuals without Amy's constant narration.

What rubbed me the wrong way was just how misogynistic the book felt. It's not so much about likability as much as not painting every woman in the most derogatory light possible. Amy hates every woman who isn't Amy. Which is fine, but I get particularly prickly when one type of woman—the "Cool Girl"—as simply a male construct. And I guess my annoyance over it is just a testament to how well-written and well-executed the narrative and characterizations were.

In addition, Amy's entire existence revolved around the men in her life. What would have been a nice counterpoint is if there was a woman she wanted to impress as much as Desi or Nick, but that felt absent, giving her little agency outside of reacting to the people around. Again, maybe that was the point.

I guess the other thing is that this book does not hold up(view spoiler). Nick had way more points of redemption where, though he did do some unhusband-ly things, he's still portrayed in a much better light.

Overall, while an enthralling read, there were parts of it that bothered me too much to warrant a higher rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

January 4, 2019 – Started Reading
January 4, 2019 – Shelved
January 4, 2019 – Shelved as: audiobook
January 4, 2019 – Shelved as: library
January 4, 2019 –
11.0% "I really like how annoying the male narrator sounds. Fits Nick much better than Ben Affleck."
January 4, 2019 –
January 5, 2019 –
January 7, 2019 –
43.0% "Wow, Neil Patrick Harris was such a monumental miscasting for the role of Desi"
January 7, 2019 –
63.0% "So like, while the thrills are nice, this book is so oddly misogynistic from both POVs, it's a little tiring."
January 7, 2019 –
73.0% "Not liking this as much as I would have liked =/"
January 8, 2019 – Finished Reading