Katie B's Reviews > Miracle Creek

Miracle Creek by Angie  Kim

bookshelves: arc, mystery, giveaways, fiction, virginia, read-in-2019

Super impressed with this debut novel! It's a solid mystery/courtroom drama in which there are so many suspects you really aren't really sure who is guilty or what exactly happened until the very end. The author masterfully weaves some complex issues into the story which just take the book to a higher level than most others in the genre.

The Miracle Submarine is a pressurized oxygen chamber run by Young and Pak Yoo. It's a controversial and experimental treatment for patients hoping to cure such things as autism and infertility. A mysterious fire breaks out one day and two people are killed. The mother of the boy killed in the explosion is now on trial for the double murder. But is she the only one with motive to start the fire? Of course not, this is one of those books in which just about everyone is a suspect.

The mystery in my opinion was really well done and that's reason enough to read this book. The Miracle Submarine has a bit of a futuristic feel to it but the story itself reads like a good, old fashioned whodunit. I love what the author chose to bring to the table in terms of making this more than just a mystery. The experiences of a Korean immigrant family were fascinating to read but what I enjoyed the most out of the story was reading the perspectives of the parents who had children with health concerns. There's just so much to take away from the book that I think it will appeal to many readers. Highly recommend checking this one out!

I won an advance copy of this book in a giveaway but was under no obligation to post a review. All views expressed are my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miracle Creek.

January 3, 2019 – Shelved
April 5, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction
April 7, 2019 – Shelved as: virginia
April 7, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
April 7, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Susanne  Strong Looking forward to your full review Katie! Glad you liked this one!

Katie B Susanne wrote: "Looking forward to your full review Katie! Glad you liked this one!"

Thanks Susanne!

message 3: by LostKnight (new) - added it

LostKnight Great review. Thanks! Gotta get it.

Katie B LostKnight wrote: "Great review. Thanks! Gotta get it."

Thanks LostKnight! Hope you get a chance to read it soon!

message 5: by Kaceey (new) - added it

Kaceey Excellent review Katie! This sounds really good!

Katie B Kaceey wrote: "Excellent review Katie! This sounds really good!"

Thanks Kaceey! Definitely a good mystery with some depth.

Samantha Kelley Loved this book!!

Katie B Samantha wrote: "Loved this book!!"

Glad you loved it Samantha!

Michelle This is one of the best reviews I've seen of this book (including my own). I loved how you touched on all the special things that make this book so unique and great. It would have been a huge disservice for Angie Kim to put a gotcha moment at the end to make everyone gasp. The quiet, unraveling of each of the characters was perfectly timed to the story. Also, having it told through a different perspective to reveal just a little bit more each time was flawless. Truly great review, Katie!

Katie B Michelle wrote: "This is one of the best reviews I've seen of this book (including my own). I loved how you touched on all the special things that make this book so unique and great. It would have been a huge disse..."

Thank you so much Michelle! Your kind words made my day! Glad you loved the book as well!

message 11: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Awesome review, Katie!!!

Katie B Deanna wrote: "Awesome review, Katie!!!"

Thanks Deanna!