Gabby's Reviews > Inspection

Inspection by Josh Malerman

I am pretty disappointed with this one, not gonna lie. I absolutely loved Bird Box and A House at the Bottom of a Lake by this author, so I assumed I would love this one too. This story has a great concept - it’s about boys and girls living in separate towers who aren’t aware of the fact that the other gender even exists. I was really excited to read it.

I had a few problems with this book: the first thing being that it’s way too fucking long. This idea would have probably worked better for a short story, but this book is nearly 400 pages long. There is so much filler and the beginning takes so long to get into. I don’t think this book is remotely interested until around 200 pages in. Another disappointing thing about this book is it doesn’t feel like a horror novel at all. I think this hardly even passes as a thriller let alone a horror novel. There was nothing thrilling about it for me.

Very mild spoiler next but I didn’t realize that the reason these people decided to raise boys and girls separate is to prevent “distraction” in the form of romance and desire I guess and it’s like.....? Did they not think any of these kids would be gay? And if they were only raised around other boys aren’t the chances pretty high that they will develop crushes on other boys anyways? Idk I thought that was a huge oversight by the author.

Overall, I’m disappointed because I wanted to love this but Josh Malerman can do better and has done better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inspection.

January 3, 2019 – Shelved
April 25, 2019 – Shelved as: own
April 25, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed
April 25, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
April 25, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan I really wanted this one to be good ! I'm glad I read your review tho

Cassie Yes I agree! You made it further than me, I read 20 pages in and I had zero clue what was going on, tried so hard to get into it

message 3: by B. (new) - rated it 2 stars

B. Ugh I'm about 70% in and I'm really not that interested either... which is so disappointing cause I loooved Bird Box too :(

message 4: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole Noooooo! I got this because you were SO excited to read it. Well Crap lol now I might have to just sell it I don't think i'll like it.