Tarissa's Reviews > Mistress Pat

Mistress Pat by L.M. Montgomery

I'm a bigger fan of Pat after this sequel novel. I remember that the first book "Pat of Silver Bush" didn't feel, to me, like most of Montgomery's works do. Still, I knew I must read the sequel... And I'm so glad I did! Pat has risen high in my esteem. Another fun, sweet, loving character in L.M. Montgomery's canon.

It's such a cozy story too, most of the plot surrounding Silver Bush, Pat's family home. One of her greatest fears is to leave it behind when/if she marries, as she is so very much in love with the house itself and the comforts that she and her family members enjoy there.

"Whatever came and went, whoever loved or did not love her, there was still Silver Bush."

List of characters I will forever miss reading more about: Judy Plum. I wish she was in my kitchen all the time, cooking up wonders and always ready for a talk when you need it. The cherry on top of Judy Plum is her adorable Irish brogue.

"And just be remimbering, Patsy, what the Good Book says... about happiness being inside av ye and not outside. Thim mayn't just be the words but it's what I'm belaving it manes."

It turns out, there's much misery in store for Pat in this volume... To be honest (no real spoilers here), but the ending of "Mistress Pat" just tears my eyes up. Keep your tissues at the ready. A bit too dramatic for my Montgomery liking though... I'd tell you another author that the ending reminds me of, but that would give away too much. However, good things, silver linings, come out of bad events... Like being refined in fire, so Pat emerges a new woman.

A story of hope for the reader, with a vast mixture of emotions to relish in along the way.

"And besides we've always got to-morrow."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistress Pat.

January 3, 2019 – Started Reading