Lauren's Reviews > Queen Unseen: My Life with the Greatest Rock Band of the 20th Century

Queen Unseen by Peter Hince

liked it

In terms of reviews, I think Roger (Taylor, of Queen) did it best in a little blurb at the very beginning of the book - buried, of course, beneath some of the more congratulatory sound bites: "Of course, it's written from his perspective and it has compromises, but it's the closest to reality - and it is quite amusing."

Queen Unseen certainly is from Peter Hince's perspective, certainly has its compromises - there are a few too many anecdotes that put him right at the center of iconic moments to be truly believable - and it is quite amusing. (And given how far off the mark most things are when it comes to Queen and Freddie, to say this is the "closest to reality" isn't necessarily saying very much.) Ratty's ode to the hedonist life of a rock roadie in the 70's is a wild ride that spans most of the band's touring career. Despite the implications that this is a dirty dish on Queen, it's more about the exploits and endeavors of the crew behind the scenes. As the daughter of a roadie, when it comes to fireworks in the hotel and the endless pursuit of drugs: I'm inclined to believe more than I'm not.

Three stars for a fun read to put you in the shoes of an interesting lifestyle. One star lost because Roger and Brian claim it was Brian who played "lacquers" for 168 points in Death Scrabble. Who're you gonna believe? *squints* And the other star because thanking the members of the band in the post script and then immediately saying "no doubt they would like to thank me, too" is bad form, Ratty. Bad form.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen Unseen.

January 3, 2019 – Started Reading