Toby's Reviews > Analog Science Fiction and Fact January/February 2019

Analog Science Fiction and Fact January/February 2019 by Trevor Quachri

M 50x66

bookshelves: currently-reading

"Ring Wave," Jolly, Tom. Cover story (novelette). Planet-killer asteroid takes out Earth. Plucky would-be survivors surf the impact's "ring wave" into orbit and try to survive. Is there a name for this genre of Space Disaster, like The Martian or Apollo 13? Desperate straits, high stakes. Tight story. 4/5.

"Love in the Time of Immuno-Sharing," Dudak, Andy (short story). This one sits weird with me. Not because it's gross and posits a post-"repro-sex" world in which people swap antibodies by ritually rubbing their open sores together (think of the grossest mix between "chicken pox party" and "orgy"), but because I'm not really sure what the takeaway is supposed to be. 2/5.

"A Message from Our Sponsor," Sharrah, J. T. (short story). An infuriating study of ubiquitous advertising extended to its logical conclusion, but then an innovative misstep lets the sheeple get their revenge. Bonus points for "rent-a-freud." 3/5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Analog Science Fiction and Fact January/February 2019.

January 3, 2019 – Started Reading