Debra's Reviews > Light from Other Stars

Light from Other Stars by Erika Swyler

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley

Eleven year old Nedda Papas wants to be an astronaut. Her father once worked for NASA (was laid off) and she is devastated when she watched the Challenger Catastrophe at her school. I could relate to this part of the book as I also watched the Challenger break apart 73 seconds into its flight live in my science class. But that is not where the book begins, the book begins when an adult Nedda is in space aboard the Chawla. She has been in space for two years and has several more to go before they land. The crew is in search of a new place to live as Earth is slowly dying. While in space she is looking back at her childhood, her parents, her father's experiment, her friend, Denny, the Challenger explosion, her school and community.

This book was a bit of a struggle for me and there were times that I thought of putting the book down and not finishing. But I pushed through. I am on the fence with Science fiction- I either love of or just can't connect with it. As I stated I struggled with this one. The science parts really slowed this book down for me and I found that as always, it was the human relationships which worked. I did appreciate how the Author tried to give the reader various perspectives through the people in the town about Nedda's father’s experiment and his reason for the experiment. I typically do not have an issue with suspending belief but for some reason this just didn't work for me here. Consider me an outlier. The dual time lines didn't bother me however, as I mentioned I just struggled through this entire book. I believe this is more of a case of it is me and not the book. Read other reviews and read the book synopsis. I believe most science fiction fans will really enjoy this book.

Thank you to Bloomsbury Publishing and NetGalley who provided me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All the thoughts and opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Light from Other Stars.

January 3, 2019 – Shelved
January 3, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
April 11, 2019 – Started Reading
April 11, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
April 15, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Fantastic review Debra! It sounds like this wasn’t really your type of book! Well done for pushing through to the end. 😊

message 2: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Wonderful review Debra, hope your next is less of a struggle 💖

Debra Nicola wrote: "Fantastic review Debra! It sounds like this wasn’t really your type of book! Well done for pushing through to the end. 😊"

Thank you Nicola!

Debra Maureen wrote: "Wonderful review Debra, hope your next is less of a struggle 💖"

Thank you Maureen!

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Lovely review, babe <3 Hope your next read is better :D

Angela M Sorry it didn’t work for you as well as it did for me. Onwards,

message 7: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Fair and honest review, Debra! Sorry you struggled with this one. Hope your next book rocks! 🤗

message 8: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Nice honest review! Sorry this didn’t totally work for you, Debra. Hope your next book is more enjoyable!

JV (semi-hiatus) I'm sorry to hear that this book didn't work out for you, dear Debra! Hope you'll have a fantastic read next! Nevertheless, great review! 🤗

Debra Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Lovely review, babe <3 Hope your next read is better :D"

Thank you Alex!

Debra Angela M wrote: "Sorry it didn’t work for you as well as it did for me. Onwards,"

Thank you Angela!

Debra Julie wrote: "Fair and honest review, Debra! Sorry you struggled with this one. Hope your next book rocks! 🤗"

Thank you Julie!

Debra Meredith wrote: "Nice honest review! Sorry this didn’t totally work for you, Debra. Hope your next book is more enjoyable!"

Thank you Meredith!

Debra JV ❄️☃️❄️ wrote: "I'm sorry to hear that this book didn't work out for you, dear Debra! Hope you'll have a fantastic read next! Nevertheless, great review! 🤗"

Thank you JV!

message 15: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Debra, I was wondering if it was just me struggling to get through this book since I see so many 4/5 star reviews. I'm 25% in and am ready to throw in the towel.. Great review.

Debra Karen wrote: "Debra, I was wondering if it was just me struggling to get through this book since I see so many 4/5 star reviews. I'm 25% in and am ready to throw in the towel.. Great review."

Thank you Karen! This was a BIG struggle. It paid off in the end, but it is not for everyone and I struggled the whole way through this book. Good luck. No shame in putting it down and not finishing.