Trisie's Reviews > Stockholm Syndrome

Stockholm Syndrome by Richard Rider

** spoiler alert ** You could write all the traits of a great book and it's still not gonna be enough to describe the awesomeness of this story. It's simply so extraordinary that words fail you. I guess it's not a novel that would most of readers classify as romance but for me it's the most romantic story I've ever read (well, maybe you have to be a little twisted:D). I love my romance a bit dark, raw and fateful and this one is all of that. In my opinion the love/relationship between Valentine and Lindsey is more truthful than in many other books with their hundred times of repeating "I love you," and "mine" and "yours" - you know what I mean. For love in this story talks acts not words, there're lots of inner monologues and thoughts that manage to capture it in its diversity (words are just so much easier and less effective way to show it.)
L: "Because he makes me laugh. Because, fuck knows why, he adores me. Because he needs somebody to look after him and nobody else knows how. Because everything about us is wrong and I never ever want to be right. Because I wake up in the morning and see him sleeping next to me with his stupid dyedhair and his stupid painted nails and his stupid toy monkey and I remember I love him so much I don't know what to do, I love him I love him I LOVE HIM."
This is what I'm talking about. Lindsey doesn't need to shout his love to world or talk about it with his friends - well, he's got a reputation to withhold so his reasoning for keeping Valentine around is following: "Lindsay sips his whiskey, and taps the glass against his breastbone."Because when he sucks, your cock ends up here.":D
What is another merit of this story (among many others)?
Unbelievably good, kinky, hot and wild sex (the plays with a gun -OMG!)BDSM elements feel natural not like it's based on a handbook for BDSM relationships, and well, Valentine is just insatiable...
"...he starts ramming himself back against Lindsay's thrusts,and his gag isn't tied tightly enough to properly muffle how he's saying yes, yes,yes, and harder and more and yes." Yeah, like THIS:D
But don't worry, he "ain't too needy twice a night's fine". I'm not even mentioning a great dirty talk and humor.

I'm sorry for such a long review, but I just love them, love them, LOVE THEM..."even in english":D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stockholm Syndrome.

Quotes Trisie Liked

Richard Rider
“You were always saying you were gonna shoot him," he mutters, but it's kind of half-hearted. "Stupid fucking little tit, he needs a bullet in his head. What do you keep him round for, anyway?"
Because he makes me laugh. Because, fuck knows why, he adores me. Because he needs somebody to look after him and nobody else knows how. Because everything about us is wrong and I never ever want to be right. Because I wake up in the morning and see him sleeping next to me with his stupid dyed hair and his stupid painted nails and his stupid toy monkey and I remember I love him so much I don't know what to do, I love him I love him I LOVE HIM.

Richard Rider
“Valentine clears his throat. "So. Why can't you just say it?"
"Say what?"
"You know what."
"It's hardly the time or place."
"It is if you're dying."
"I can't."
"You're a dick. Just fucking say it!"
"I can't! I'm... English."
"What am I, a Martian? I say it all the time. I know you love me, why can't you say it?"
"If you know, then why do I have to?"
"You're missing the point a bit."
"I took your bullet, you little twat, don't you dare question whether I love you."
"Yeah, but you could say it."
The throb of the gunshots is pounding all down his arm and body. The pain's so bad he wants to cry, like he's five and he's skinned his knee coming off his bike.
"Je t'aime," he says, through gritted teeth, to shut the kid up. "Je ne sais pas pourquoi. Tu es... complètement bête, tu t'habilles comme une pute travestie, je hais ta musique, tu es fou, tu me rends fou, mais je suis fou de toi et je pense à toi tout le temps et je t'aime, oui. Tu comprends? Je t'aime. Seulement... pas en anglais. Je ne peux pas."
Valentine's shifting about like he's uncomfortable. "I ain't got no idea what you just said but I think I need to change my pants."
"Maintenant, ta gueule.”

Richard Rider
“Real-time creeps back in, and Lindsay realises the kid's on his knees beside him, saying his name over and over and over.
"What?"
"Oh, thank fuck... Jesus, you're bleeding like hell."
"Thanks, Sherlock."
"Can you see a bright white light?"
"Yeah."
"Oh fuck. Fuck! Okay, listen to me, don't go near it, okay?"
"What?"
"Stay away from the light."
"What are you talking about?"
"That's death, innit? Don't go near it, promise me."
"I mean I can see the electric lights on the ceiling, you berk."
"You berk! You knob, I thought you were dying."
"You didn't specify what kind of bright light, you just said bright light,
you might've been testing my eyesight."
"I ain't fighting with you when you've been shot.”

Richard Rider
“Poor innocent me, just going about my business, then you raped me down the ear with your gun."

Lindsay nicks the bottle, smirking just slightly, and say's " You loved it, you tart.”

Richard Rider
“Ha ha ha. But what if, right, when you come home, what if I ain't wearing nothing but Nutella?"

"Your double negatives make me want to kill you.”
Richard Rider, Stockholm Syndrome

Emma Sea Grest review. It's just amazing, isnt it? It's hard to describe why and how: people just have to read it.

Trisie Exactly, I can't even count how many times I already read it:D I'm just afraid I'm not gonna read something so great ever again..

Emma Sea Oh, ditto! That was totaly my feeling when I finished it.