Sylvia's Reviews > Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Quiet by Susan Cain

Jan 21, 2012

bookshelves: popular-psychology

As a true 'introvert' or as I would rather prefer to label it a true 'intermediate' ... a definite so-glad-I-read-this-book for me.
And yes, please; a bit of Quiet around me would be most Welcome so that I could Hear my own Quietness & Inner Senses ;-)

It explained so many things about me, myself and I - in relation to where I stand in this very loud world that surrounds me everywhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quiet.

Quotes Sylvia Liked

Susan Cain
“It's as if they have thinner boundaries separating them from other people's emotions and from the tragedies and cruelties of the world.”

Susan Cain
“We don’t ask why God chose as his prophet a stutterer with a public speaking phobia. But we should. The book of Exodus is short on explication, but its stories suggest that introversion plays yin to the yang of extroversion; that the medium is not always the message; and that people followed Moses because his words were thoughtful, not because he spoke them well.”

Susan Cain
“It's not that there is no small talk...It's that it comes not at the beginning of conversations but at the end...Sensitive people...'enjoy small talk only after they've gone deep' says Strickland. 'When sensitive people are in environments that nurture their authenticity, they laugh and chitchat just as much as anyone else.”

Susan Cain
“So stay true to your own nature. If you like to do things in a slow and steady way, don't let others make you feel as if you have to race. If you enjoy depth, don't force yourself to seek breadth. If you prefer single-tasking to multi-tasking, stick to your guns. Being relatively unmoved by rewards gives you the incalculable power to go your own way.”

05/26/2016 marked as: read

Theresa Brunetti I am learning a lot from this read as I know very little about introverts!

Sylvia :-) Good thing.

message 3: by Arvind (new) - added it

Arvind Balasubramaniam I think the label is called "ambivert".