Laura Hiebenthal's Reviews > Storyworthy: Engage, Teach, Persuade, and Change Your Life through the Power of Storytelling

Storyworthy by Matthew Dicks

U 50x66

Read 2 times. Last read June 13, 2019 to June 17, 2019.

I am familiar with Matthew Dicks from his podcast Speak Up. I wasn't sure if I would like this book as sometimes on the podcast he strikes me as just a little haughty or egotistical. But I will give him credit for being a very good storyteller, and I do admire his ability to listen to a story and make a few little suggestions that can move a story from good to great. I am a high school English teacher, so my main motivation for reading this book was to see what I could take from the book and use in my classroom. I have my students perform a story slam, but I haven't felt like I have given them enough guidance on how to select and prepare their stories. This book will definitely help with that. While there is a huge difference between telling a personal story and writing a personal narrative, many of the ideas and techniques and suggestions for telling a great story do carry over to personal narrative writing to some degree. I am glad I read this book and will gladly add Matthew's ideas as more tools in my teaching toolbox.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storyworthy.

Finished Reading