Dana's Reviews > Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained

Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained by John Milton

Jan 21, 2012

liked it
Read from January 21 to 27, 2012

So, I do understand that this is a great classic. I can even see why. I don't think it stands the test of time, however. I found myself, nine times out of ten, laughing at the reactions and the situations, finding most of the figures portrayed in the book to be small children (and sometimes, they would come across as gangsters but I think that's my own special spin on this tale). Now, this is not a bad thing, per say. Speaking as someone who doesn't enjoy reading old English, the reactions of the figures portrayed, while ridiculous at times, was what kept me motivated to continue to read. It reminds me of Mallory's "Morte De' Arthur" in the respect that it is over the top at times.

My main complaint is the description. Milton has a tendency to go on for pages about small details that aren't as important. His strong suite is in his dialogue.

As for Paradise Regained? Not so much. I feel that the story should have been left at Paradise Lost. The fact that it only takes four "books" to have Paradise Regained seemed a little anti climatic for me.

Overall, I do suggest it as something everyone should read. Although, know that it is not a sit down and enjoy yourself kind of book unless you make it so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained.

01/21/2012 page 57
01/24/2012 page 90
25.0% "This is the last book of the eleven that I wanted to get done in the month of January. I'm just hoping that my brain holds out until I'm done. I of course chose the most difficult book to be the last one to power through. *sigh"
01/26/2012 page 176
49.0% "I was liking this in the beginning but it is starting to drag on. I find myself zoning out on most paragraphs and finding that it doesn't matter because they're STILL describing the same exact thing they were two pages ago."
show 2 hidden updates…